BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Sven_
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello, 

as I have the SAS Software on my laptop and as it always takes  round ten minutes until all the services are started and as I do not often need to use the Web Services I would like to stop some services or change their start up to manual. 

The services need about 7 GB of ram.

Normally I do only use the SAS 9.4 or the Enterprise Guide. 

Can you say me which of those services can be stopped so that the laptop does not have to load them at startup?

Can you also tell me in which order / sequence the processes / services can be stopped and started?

Maybe there is a sheet?

Thanks!

In the attachment is a screenshot from the services. 

SAS_Services_after_Startup.JPG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Do you use a separate SAS server, or do you work all local?

Meatadata server is quite light weight.

The services that handles the web parts of SAS are:

-httpd web server

-Remote Services

-Web infrastructure Platform...

-WebAppServer SASServer_1

Environment Manager is a web application, so stopping these would make sense as well.

Some of the other service is not crucial, but light weight, so you should really not be bothered by them.

Data never sleeps

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

All of the SAS services you have listed are only required on SAS servers, not SAS clients. You can safely set them to manual, and then test that SAS and EG still work correctly.

However it is not clear to me how you ended up installing these in the first place. You may want to consider redoing your install just with Foundation SAS and EG.

Sven_
Fluorite | Level 6

The installation and configuration is fine, I just do not always need all of them.

SAS Base 9.4 actually runs without all this services on my system.

The EG still needs the  "Spawner" and the "Metadata Server" services.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Base SAS and Eguide can run on your local machine (Windows only) withoud metadatserver/objectspawner.
Only wiht advanced solutions (miner and others) I have seen those services being necessary.
Linux based is different  (VM?) as the only option is running server-processes.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Sven_
Fluorite | Level 6

I got a error message running EG without metadataserver/objectspawner....no library connection.

However. Laptop starts a bit faster now. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Do you use a separate SAS server, or do you work all local?

Meatadata server is quite light weight.

The services that handles the web parts of SAS are:

-httpd web server

-Remote Services

-Web infrastructure Platform...

-WebAppServer SASServer_1

Environment Manager is a web application, so stopping these would make sense as well.

Some of the other service is not crucial, but light weight, so you should really not be bothered by them.

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

As Jaap says, if you are just running local SAS and EG, SAS web services are not required so I'm still mystified why you have them installed. If your EG works with remote SAS servers then usually the SAS web services would run on your remote SAS web server not your laptop. 

Sven_
Fluorite | Level 6

It is installed because i will need it in some weeks e.g. OLAP Cube Studio ... Web Report Studio at education and for the customer............ but not always. Maybe consulting is different in Germany.

Thanks for all the answers!

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation