BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tonycord
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello there.

What can cause the state of a CAS Controller to be shown as grey (not running?) instead of green (running) in the Servers page, in SAS Environment Manager (screenshot below), for only a single user (as far as I know)?

sas-env_manager.png

The single affected user cannot access CAS data sources. I've checked with five more users and none of them reported this problem.

Environment info:

• SAS Viya 3.5 environment
  • MPP mode
  • Linux deployed
  • Kerberos authentication.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @tonycord

You said you are using Kerberos authentication.  There is some helpful information in section "Validate Kerberos Configuration" in SAS Help Center: Authentication: How To   that can also be helpful when looking at the CAS log. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
This suggests the user can get a list of CAS servers, but is unable to start a CAS session. Does the user encounter an error when attempting to get a CAS session in SAS Studio? Are there corresponding errors in the CAS log?
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Is this impacted user able to work in SASStudioV. ?

tonycord
Fluorite | Level 6
The user can launch SAS StudioV and run scripts, except the ones requiring a CAS server Session.
tonycord
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, the user does encounter an error when attempting to get a CAS session in SAS Studio: 

ERROR: Connection failed. Server returned: Failed to launch session controller.: Failed to launch session worker.ERROR: Unable to connect to Cloud Analytic Services xxxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxxxxx on port 5570. Verify connection parameters and        retry.

Do you mean the log from a specific source? If so, which one (cas, consul, rabbit ...)?

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
This confirms the user is not able to get a CAS session as the cause of the server state showing as grey.

The logs for CAS (/opt/sas/viya/config/var/log/cas/default) might shed some light on why the session failed to launch. If you are using CASHostAccountRequired for the user and that user is not able to own a process on one of the workers this could explain it.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @tonycord

You said you are using Kerberos authentication.  There is some helpful information in section "Validate Kerberos Configuration" in SAS Help Center: Authentication: How To   that can also be helpful when looking at the CAS log. 

tonycord
Fluorite | Level 6

thanks @michele_sas . I'll look into it.

by the way, I noticed that the home folder for this one particular user was missing in one of the three available cas workers, which is odd because there's no manual process involved. 

tonycord
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello again, @michele_sas .

Indeed there was a problem with the kerberos configuration of one of the CAS Workers.I failed to mention that this specific user is a new user, sorry about that. I guess that explains the reason why only this specific user had no home folder in the Worker and could not create a CAS Session.  

Thank you for your help.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation