BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
epower
Quartz | Level 8

I was reaching out to see if anyone with a solaris bi environment has encountered very slow start up times for their workspace and or grid sessions. We find that  Linux environments are really handy about using cached credentials but the Solaris boxes are pretty bad. We get times just for SAS authentication of over 3 seconds on Solaris 10 and about 1.5 seconds for Solaris 9. Just to show how bad the situation gets.. we have a high powered m4000 grid... for an initial EG submission that requires the startup of a new workspace session we get times of 45 seconds vs a copycat install in linux is able to process the same initial submission in 13 seconds.

Once we have sessions up and running we have very good performance...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
epower
Quartz | Level 8

We have been able to resolve this issue.

Our SAS environment on Solaris 10 was configured for host authentication where the host was using LDAP level authentication. When SAS is using host authentication and uses Solaris methods for standard authentication, the action pulls all of the groups in LDAP for every single query and for our organizations we have thousand of groups. We found that if we configured SAS to do LDAP authentication rather than host level authentication only the specific groups for a user are actually pulled. Our Performance is now at the millisecond level and giving us expected performance.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RobbieFreddie
Calcite | Level 5

I'm curious if you have many libraries being auto assigned?  I'm troubleshooting some slow startup (connecting to issues) as well.  I've narrowed it down in our case to either the amount or method of pre-assigning libraries, or the issue we have with our /saswork directory (WORK library in EG and temporary space).  We have way to many users for only having one /saswork directory setup on one single disk (I/O bottleneck where disk stays 100% busy, so new jobs starting up have to wait in line before being issued temporary work space).

Is the startup time slow even with very little going on on the server?

epower
Quartz | Level 8

We have been able to resolve this issue.

Our SAS environment on Solaris 10 was configured for host authentication where the host was using LDAP level authentication. When SAS is using host authentication and uses Solaris methods for standard authentication, the action pulls all of the groups in LDAP for every single query and for our organizations we have thousand of groups. We found that if we configured SAS to do LDAP authentication rather than host level authentication only the specific groups for a user are actually pulled. Our Performance is now at the millisecond level and giving us expected performance.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation