PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I did not do so.

At this time, I have both SAS 9.3 and SAS 9.4 available to use on my computer

--
Paige Miller
Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks Paige! what is the benifit to have both?

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

The benefit is testing my programs to make sure they work in SAS 9.4, before uninstalling SAS 9.3.

--
Paige Miller
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

Yes, side-by-side installations of different versions of SAS are supported on all operating systems.

With UNIX and z/OS, there's really no overlap as long as you use different installation locations.

For Windows, the most recent one installed is the one which will be associated with file extensions like .sas in the Windows registry.  Only one version can be "registered" in this way at a time [makes sense since you probably wouldn't want to bring up both versions of SAS when double-clicking on a .sas file].  However, even though only one version can be registered for filetype associations, both versions are fully functional.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you Mark!

kevind
Obsidian | Level 7

I read that too that for having side-by-side installations that all you need to do is use different installation locations but you need to specify different ports too (This how we did for RHEL).    And if using the Grid, you'll need side-by-side of Platform Computing installed.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

"different ports" ???

I don't understand (and on Windows 7, I certainly didn't set up different "ports", whatever they are)

--
Paige Miller
ScottV
SAS Employee

If you want to run two versions of the SAS Platform for Business Analytics side by side then you have to run the second instance using a different set of ports for the SAS Servers like: Metadata Server, OLAP Server, Object Spawner, etc.

On Windows you can only have one version of SAS active at a time due to the fact that the Windows Registry holds values for locations of the SAS executables and servers, etc.

Mark_sas
SAS Employee

The Windows registry is used for file type associations.  You should be able to have 9.3 and 9.4 versions of SAS deployed and active on the same Windows machine.  As mentioned earlier in the thread, if your deployment involves SAS servers (e.g., Metadata, Workspace, and Stored Process), you need to make sure the two sets of servers are talking on different TCP communication ports.  If you're not aware of using ports, you're probably not using these SAS Servers as the need for ports is included in preinstall checklists associated with "planned" (i.e., Metadata Server-based) deployments.  The port numbers are prompted for during execution of the SDW.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

I certainly have no problems running both SAS 9.3 and SAS 9.4 simultaneously on Windows 7.

Thank you for explaining "ports".

--
Paige Miller
Brit
Calcite | Level 5

In Windows I have routinely had multiple versions of SAS running. The last time I tried to do this with SAS 9.2 and 9.3, the OQ script generated several errors after the 9.3 install. After going back and forth with SAS tech support, they remotely logged into my PC, uninstalled SAS 9.2, deleted some other .DLLs, and finally managed to get 9.3 running right. This took a lot of my time and made me wonder whether running two versions of SAS is really worth risking this kind of headache.

Linlin
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you for sharing your experices! I installed 9.4 successfully yesterday. I will uninstall 9.3 soon.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

last time I tried to do this with SAS 9.2 and 9.3, the OQ script generated several errors after the 9.3 install. After going back and forth with SAS tech support, they remotely logged into my PC, uninstalled SAS 9.2, deleted some other .DLLs, and finally managed to get 9.3 running right. This took a lot of my time and made me wonder whether running two versions of SAS is really worth risking this kind of headache.

You are assuming that the problem with the 9.3 install had something to do with 9.2, and I don't think that is always the case. Could have been a lot of things.

Nevertheless, I have had two versions of SAS installed and running simultaneously, and never had "this kind of headache". I do this so I can test my production code in the new version, while continuing to run the code in the older version. I have done this with every upgrade and never had a problem of this type. SAS Institute, of course, has to write their code in such a way as to allow this type of situation with two versions of SAS installed and running.

--
Paige Miller
JimLoughlin
Quartz | Level 8

My experience has been the same as PaigeMiller.  I usually have multiple versions of SAS installed and can run them simultaneously without any issues.  But I'm only running Foundation SAS.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 7 in conversation