BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Abashore
Calcite | Level 5

We currently have separate SAS environments each with their own metadata server:

• Environment A which consists of Office and Visual Analytics (SAS 9.4 TS1M3)
  • Environment B which consists of Financial Management and Data Integration (SAS 9.4 TS1M2 but upgrading soon)

Both of these have been used my separate groups inside our organization and recently they have become interested in sharing some of the metadata tables residing in Environment B with Environment A to be used in Visual Analytics. 

Is there any way to share this data besides manually exporting and importing into the other environment? Ideally we'll probably look into combining the environments but are looking for options in the short term.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

DI jobs always create physical tables - a metadata table is merely a description (data dictionary) of what is in the physical table. The actual data is always in the physical table.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

What about the physical SAS tables that your metadata definitions describe? Are these being shared too? It would not make a lot of sense to share metadata definitions if they referred to non-shared SAS tables.

Abashore
Calcite | Level 5

These are tables created by DI jobs and I don't think it's actually creating physcial tables on the server's hard drive based on what I've read(?). Please correct me if I am wrong.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

DI jobs always create physical tables - a metadata table is merely a description (data dictionary) of what is in the physical table. The actual data is always in the physical table.

Abashore
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks, looking at the DI jobs this morning I was able to locate the physical files.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Beside @SASKiwi accurate note about the physical side of it, I don't think that there's a middle way here. Export/Import is probably your short term solution. But there's a batch facility so you could automate this job.
Data never sleeps

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation