BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

How to send password protected csv files via email from sas 9.2?

We don't have sas secure license for 9.2 version.

12 REPLIES 12
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Simple answer: don't.

Sending files per email may fail because the target mail server does not accept mails sizes > X, where X is arbitrary.

How would you want to "protect" a simple text file anyway?

Also how do you convey the password, if you manage the above?

Place the csv in a place where it can be retrieved via SSH. This scales well and satisfies all security needs. And you only have to send a notification per mail.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @japsas100,

To protect a CSV file, I would just look into a generic tool. Maybe you can zip it and protect the zip. Then you can send any kind of file, protected or not.

To protect an Excel file: http://support.sas.com/kb/31/328.html

For sending emails: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/forum2008/038-2008.pdf

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks Juan_OCS

Can we send an email if we don't have SAS secure license in 9.2 version?

I think SAS Secure module is free in 9.4 version.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You can send email, but SAS does not support sending encrypted emails. A google search for "sas secure encrypted emails" reveals that this has been dealt with here (SAS communities) already.

SAS/SECURE handles encrypted storage and encryption on SAS connections (CONNECT and SHARE).

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

There is no such thing as pasword protected CSV files.  CSV=Comma Separated Variable text files - note it is NOT Excel!  You can use third party tools like ZIP to add a layer of security, however if it is critical data then you really should consider Secure FTP or Secure Portals, not just for security but for traceability.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

@japsas100, you would need SAS/SECURE only to be able to understand certificates and encryption (meaning, reading or writing), but sending a file (encrypted or not, it will be just a binary or text file) does not require security management. Security management is only required to read secured files or to create secured files, that is it.

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks ,

I want to create a file with password protected on unix env and then send email via sas 9.2.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

I guessed that much. If you don't encrypt the email, just the file, you should be good to go.

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks,

How we can create csv file as password protected on unix. Please share any example.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@japsas100 wrote:

Thanks,

How we can create csv file as password protected on unix. Please share any example.

@RW9 already provided the answer to that. zip is a utility present on UNIX systems, a manual page for it can be found by googling "zip manual page", eg http://www.linuxguide.it/command_line/linux-manpage/do.php?file=zip

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please be aware that password-protected zip files are not particularly secure. There are tools easily available on the internet for "cracking" zip files. There is no way my company would let us exchange data this way. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @japsas100,

I don't think it is a good idea if we give you examples of something it is not related to SAS, I would rather ask the expert on those areas.

We already covered some blunt ideas, such as create a password-protected zip file containing the csv file (which seems to be a good idea, to reduce space), and I can think now that probably openssl can be a good idea as well.

Please google a bit or ask in the relevant spaces. That is the best advise I can give you at this moment.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation