BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Denise
Obsidian | Level 7

I am familiar with applying hotfixes to my environment using SASHFADD.  I normally shut down all SAS services before beginning any patching work in the environment.  However, I'm wondering if I can save some "down time" for the production environment by doing some of the prep work before turning off services.

Can I use SASHFADD while SAS services are running (without disrupting processing)?  I would only shut off services to back up the environment and then apply the hotfixes if I am able to do some prep work.

Thank you,

Denise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

The usage of SASHFADD  does not require from your environment to stop in any moment, Therefore the question to you question would be a big YES, of course you can. And good idea to minimize the downtime!

For and with the SASHFADD  you will only generate the deployment registry file, generate the hot fix report, and download the hotfixes. Any of this will need any downtime on your SAS systems. 

Once you will start the SAS Deployment Manager to install the hot fixes, then, yes, you will need to stop the environment, until they are fully applied, including any pre or post installation or configuration steps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

The usage of SASHFADD  does not require from your environment to stop in any moment, Therefore the question to you question would be a big YES, of course you can. And good idea to minimize the downtime!

For and with the SASHFADD  you will only generate the deployment registry file, generate the hot fix report, and download the hotfixes. Any of this will need any downtime on your SAS systems. 

Once you will start the SAS Deployment Manager to install the hot fixes, then, yes, you will need to stop the environment, until they are fully applied, including any pre or post installation or configuration steps.

Denise
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.  I suspected this was the case but I always appreicate double checking myself as I'm a relatively new administrator. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Pleasure! Not always has to be complicated, gladly. 

Also, very-wise to get double-checks, I must say.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation