BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
chenchug
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

I have installed and configurated 'SAS Access to SQL Server' and 'SAS Access to Impala' lastly installed unixOdbc manager on AIX SASApp Server. I am able to connect to Impala and Sql servers and create libraries.

The sasenv_local file got below ODBC.INI env variables:

ODBCINI=<SASHome>/AccessClients/9.4/SQLServer/odbc.ini
export ODBCINI

export LIBPATH=<SASHome>/AccessClients/9.4/SQLServer/lib:$LIBPATH
export LIBPATH=/opt/freeware/lib:$LIBPATH

export CLOUDERAIMPALAINI=/opt/cloudera/impalaodbc/lib/64/cloudera.impalaodbc.ini
export LIBPATH=/opt/cloudera/impalaodbc/lib/64:$LIBPATH

So SASApp should depend on <SASHome>/AccessClients/9.4/SQLServer/odbc.ini for ODBC DSN Details.

But SASApp Server uses 2 different ODBC.ini files for Impala DSN and SQL Server DSN details.

example:

SASApp getting Impala DSN details from "/opt/freeware/etc/odbc.ini" file and SQL Server DSN details from "<SASHome>/AccessClients/9.4/SQLServer/odbc.ini". not sure why?

both odbc.ini file got same DSN parameters for both DB servers.

when I rename Impala DSN in /opt/freeware/etc/obdc.ini, Impala connection broke  and when change Impala DSN in other ODBC.ini there is no impact. similarly when I rename SQL Server DSN in <SASHome>/AccessClients/9.4/SQLServer/odbc.ini file, the SQL Server connection broke and rename SQL Server DSN in  /opt/freeware/etc/obdc.ini

can someone suggest what am I messing up and how to update to use only one odbc.ini as referred in sasenv_local file?

Thanks,

1 REPLY 1
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14

Technically a single instance of odbc.ini files should be sufficient.
There could be a limitation for impala. Impala may have a reference to the location  /opt/freeware/etc/obdc.ini, somewhere in its configuration files.
You can keep the file at a single location (this helps in maintenance) and create a soft link to it.
Thus the odbc.ini file can be a softlink to SASHome>/AccessClients/9.4/SQLServer/odbc.ini
Typically I wold use the following command to create the symbolic link in /opt/freeware/etc folder

/opt/freeware/etc > ln -sSASHome>/AccessClients/9.4/SQLServer/odbc.ini  odbc.ini

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation