BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SueG
Calcite | Level 5

I'm taking a SAS class at a university. The campus IT department sells a student version of SAS for $99, but they offer no support at all regarding installation.

I have a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X, v10.6.8. From what I can tell, SAS does not run in the Mac OS, right?

How can I run SAS? Do I need to install a Windows emulation program? If so, any advice on which one, or what characteristics I need to be considering when looking for such a program?

I'd sure appreciate some advice and help on figuring out how to best proceed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jennifers_sas
SAS Employee

No it does not include SAS EG.  However, SAS offers SAS on Demand for Academics (cloud based learning on EG).  Your instructor must provide you with access this this platform.  Here is some information on this product.

Access to SAS software. If your professor signs up to use SAS OnDemand for Academics in your course, as a student you can access it for free. With our Web Editor, you can run SAS within a browser on any operating system – including Mac. Find out if your professor has signed up by chatting with us online or calling 800-727-0025.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Reeza
Super User

I'd make sure what version of SAS you were getting from your IT at $99. If its the learning edition I believe all those licenses have expired though I could be wrong.

But yes, you need a form of windows on your computer. I created a Bootcamp partition and run that through VMWARE Fusion. You do also need a valid windows license and can get that fairly cheaply from Microsoft.

Installing a partition and Bootcamp setup

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461

This is nice but not necessary. It allows you to run both windows and mac at the same time, rather than rebooting.

VMWARE Fusion

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

My students report good success using Parallels.

kabakibo
Calcite | Level 5

Hello ,

Can you please get me in touch with one of your students as I am having a hard time to set an active server profile using Parallel. You can contact me to

Thanks

Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Sorry, I am not teaching currently and all my students have moved on to other activities.

kabakibo
Calcite | Level 5

No problem,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I just installed it on my wife's PC and I had the same problem. I am not able to create a valid local server profile just so I can start working with that tool. I guess I will have to go to my school computer lab to practice.

If you know anyone was able to resolve this issue, I would appreciate your referral.

Thank you

Reeza
Super User

You haven't provided enough information to supply any answers.

What are you installing it on? What version of SAS and what product, SAS Base or EG? 

The student version doesn't exist so it can't be related to the original question here. Its best to start your own thread with detailed information.

jennifers_sas
SAS Employee

As part of the recently announced, SAS Analytics U Initiative, SAS is releasing a new product called SAS University Edition software that will be available on May 28.   This software will be at no cost to students and professors.  It includes Base SAS, SAS/STAT, SAS/IML and SAS/ACCESS to PC Files.  In addition, this software package will be downloadable to Mac or PC.  Click Here to read the Press Release and learn more information about SAS University Edition.

The SAS University Edition software will be made available on May 28 to those who are members of the SAS Analytics U Online Community.  I would recommend you join so that you can have first access to the software in a few weeks.

I hope this helps.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks

Jennifer

kabakibo
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Jennifer for this wonderful news...does that include SAS EG? I apologize for my ignorance, I just started learning about this tool as part of my MBA program.

Thanks

Yaser

jennifers_sas
SAS Employee

No it does not include SAS EG.  However, SAS offers SAS on Demand for Academics (cloud based learning on EG).  Your instructor must provide you with access this this platform.  Here is some information on this product.

Access to SAS software. If your professor signs up to use SAS OnDemand for Academics in your course, as a student you can access it for free. With our Web Editor, you can run SAS within a browser on any operating system – including Mac. Find out if your professor has signed up by chatting with us online or calling 800-727-0025.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation