BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11

Hello All, 

We have SAS 9.4 M7 installed on Linux 8.4. This is all-in-one machine. Installation and configuration completed successfully. however, when i try starting sas services its showing below message. 

./sas.servers start

starting sas servers 

starting sas web infrastructure data server 

SAS Metadata Server 1 is NOT up

the remaining SAS servers will not be started as a result

However, when i do status it shows both SAS WIP data server and metadata server are up. one thing i am not sure is why its starting sas WIP data server prior to metadata server 

Also, if i starts all services (metadata, wip data server, obj. spawner, dip runner, JMS broker. cache locator, web server, web app server, evm....) individually, everything starts fine...

5 REPLIES 5
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
Running sas.services start calls sas.services.pre first, which starts the WIP Data Server. This is normal behavior.

When it reaches the point to start the Metadata Server it first checks for a PID file (server.hostname.pid) and if found checks to see if that process exists. If not, it runs the start command (i.e. MetadataServer.sh start) and checks for the PID file again. If it confirms the process exists it will go on to check that the log file has indicated the Metadata Server has started successfully. In this case it seems that process is not successful. Does the <SASConfig>/Lev1/SASMeta/MetadataServer/server.hostname.pid file exist, and is it owned by the SAS installation account user?
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
woo
Barite | Level 11 woo
Barite | Level 11
yes, "server.ip-172-31-8-49.pid" does exist with permission "-rw-rw-r--." and own by "sas" id
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
I agree with @Anand_V bash debugging might be helpful here to see what's happening. There are also several echo commands commented out that could be uncommented to provide more detail. Be sure to take a backup copy of the file before making any changes. For example:

cp sas.servers sas.servers.bak
sed -i 's/^#echo/echo/g' sas.servers
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
Sajid01
Meteorite | Level 14
I think you should check the metadata server log.
Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13

May be you can try running in in debug mode? Enable set -x or run using bash -x sas.services start which will print out all the executed commands on the terminal giving more data on what's happening in background.

https://code-maven.com/bash-set-x

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation