BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, I have an environment so I have three servers stand-alone Metadata server,Compute Server, and Middle tier server. I want to perform de-flashing/upgrade SAS9.4M6 to SAS 9.4M7  because of this :

Astro597_0-1605617434439.png

I do the system evalution and fix those issues  on Middle tier then when I do the Compute and re-start compute services and try to load the web portal again I does not load.

Is there a specific way I can get the order on starting those services or anyone here has done de-flashing/upgrade.

I would appreciate if you share your experience. Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Guys.

I managed to work around issues solved  SAS Deployment Agent suppose I stopped it last but on the link from SAS the SAS Deployment Agent there it says otherwise but I managed to think outside the box remember the  SAS Deployment Agent it talks on all the server and works as an agent for connecting or communicating so by stopping it first you actually disrupt the communication on my environment it worked if I stop it last on all the servers.

Thanks, a lot of guys for helping as well.    Happy  days for me😃😃

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
DavidHD
SAS Employee

Hey @SASJR1 ,

Starting order of servers: First stop your Midtier, next Compute Tier and then Metadata server & Starting in the reverse order - https://go.documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=bicdc&cdcVersion=9.4&docsetId=bisag&docsetTarget=n1fxn02xr08... For multi-tier environments there is also this: https://support.sas.com/kb/58/231.html 

In order to install SAS 9.4 M7 you should contact your contact at SAS and request a SAS 9.4 M7 Software Depot and either do an upgrade in place or install in a new environment and migrate your content. Take a look at this thread (https://communities.sas.com/t5/Administration-and-Deployment/Upgrade-in-Place-Steps/td-p/444848) for documentation links and tips. 

Kind regards

David

SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7

@DavidHD  Hi,

I tried the links you shared thanks. Still not winning even got this one on my search https://go.documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=bicdc&cdcVersion=9.4&docsetId=bisag&docsetTarget=p0d9d5nzmd8...

I will see if I'm winning here guys!

Regarding SAS9.4M XXXX  maintenance, currently running  SAS9.4M6 and I have SAS9.4M7 that I want to update.

DavidHD
SAS Employee
Did you take a look in the server logs? Maybe one of the services is unable to get up because of errors
SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7
I have noticed that other services were not running for example on COMPUTE, DIP service and SAS deployment tester was not running so is it the right thing to start a service manually DavidHD because I didn't want to corrupt the whole system or environment. and Yes the logs is the first thing I check.
DavidHD
SAS Employee
Do be honest I'm not sure if this will corrupt the system or not, it shouldn't but I'm not certain.

But the questions I have are:
- Can you connect to the Metadata Server?
- Can you start a SAS session via a client like EG?
- Can you excess any other Web-Apps?
- If not can you at least access Logon Manager?

Don't give me wrong all services should be running but trying to narrow done the error space.
It might be wise though to contact SAS Support as they can more directly engage with you and narrow done the problem far quicker.
SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7
I see.

To answer your questions :
- Can you connect to the Metadata Server? #Yes I can connect and validate on the Metadata.
- Can you start a SAS session via a client like EG? #client side I will check just now if Enterprise Guide is working.
- Can you excess any other Web-Apps? #Web portals yes they are loading fine which strange as well to me because some services are not running but web portals load.
- If not can you at least access Logon Manager? # yes, the logon manager is working fine.

I will reach out to SAS Support if this persists. Thanks a lot DavidHD.
DavidHD
SAS Employee
You are welcome

I have one last question - is the Web portal deployed? You can check that by going into Web/Applications subdirectory and there should be a folder for the portal - if that is there I'm sadly out of ideas
SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes,
That I can find in that folder.
DavidHD
SAS Employee
So now I'm out of ideas on how to further diagnose this - sorry
SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7

@DavidHD Hi,

Just a quick one do you know what these numbers mean the ones I highlighted just got me curious.

Please find the attached doc.

SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Guys.

I managed to work around issues solved  SAS Deployment Agent suppose I stopped it last but on the link from SAS the SAS Deployment Agent there it says otherwise but I managed to think outside the box remember the  SAS Deployment Agent it talks on all the server and works as an agent for connecting or communicating so by stopping it first you actually disrupt the communication on my environment it worked if I stop it last on all the servers.

Thanks, a lot of guys for helping as well.    Happy  days for me😃😃

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@SASJR1  - What OS are you on? If it is Unix then SAS provide a script for starting and stopping servers in the correct sequence. I'll see if I can dig out a reference to it if required.

SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7

@SASKiwi  Hi.

My OS is Windows server 2016. on that script for Unix, you can not modify it or use it on Windows OS.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation