BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Simon80
Calcite | Level 5

Before I installed SAS, my default username was displayed when I started my computer.  I would enter my password and logon to Windows.  I recently installed SAS and it asked me for the domain name, username and password during the installation, which I thought was for my school information. I entered the information for my school. I found out later that SAS has changed my login username to my school's username and password. How do I change the username that I entered by mistake back to my default username? I have chatted online with Microsoft Support and the_technician suggested I add a new username, which I'm afraid of doing because it would log me into a different account that doesn't have SAS installed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you for your response!

11 REPLIES 11
twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

Not sure how a sas install would have changed your windows user name....

Also SAS should be installed on your machine so doesn't matter if you create a new user, SAS should be available to the new user also

Barry

Simon80
Calcite | Level 5

Barry, thanks for your reply!

I'm not sure how SAS changed my Windows Username and password but it did. I just want my default username back. It's annoying to get an error message at start up saying that the username and password is incorrect and then I have to switch users and manually enter my old username and password.

Reeza
Super User

What version of SAS are you using and what O/S?

SAS typically only required a login if you're working off a server install, are you connecting to your school computer?

Simon80
Calcite | Level 5

I installed SAS 9.3 and I have Windows 7 Professional.

No I installed SAS directly on my computer.  I used the software discs, which were on loan form my school. When I first installed it, I opted to install everything, all the SAS components, and then the SAS deployment wizard said I needed to restart my computer and asked for my username and password.  At this point I entered my school's username and password by mistake.  I restarted and SAS changed my Windows default username and password. I then had to switch the username and log into windows using my normal default username.  In any case, the installation didn't continue where it left off so I had to restart the installation from the beginning. The second time around I only installed the default selected SAS components, not all the SAS components.

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

Ah so it didn't actually change your user id it changed the userid that is displayed in your login screen and you have to enter your actual one... I am sur ethere would be a windows policy that could change that as where we are (on windows 7) it is always blank and you always have to enter your userid and password...

Search Google for 'Windows 7 default log in' I am sure the answer will be there for you - this is a windows 7 thing not SAS

Barry

Simon80
Calcite | Level 5

Yes it changed the userid that is normally on display at Start up, which was my default userid (ie. my real name).  Windows tries to automatically log in with the username that SAS created during the installation. The one that I entered by mistake.  But the log in would fail because there is only one user account, the one that was created for me when I first activated my computer.  So when Windows fails to log in with the wrong and nonexistent username, I would have to switch to different user where I would enter my normal, the default, username.

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

I am sure this can be changed in registry but I wouldn't know where to start - I did google and there are lots of similar questions - as I said this is a Windows 7 issue not SAS, SAS used the login you provided, Windows then uses that as the last user logged in.

Reeza
Super User

Usually it changes once you log in with a new name though, then it changes back to the last user by default.

I'd take a look at my user settings and see if there is a new user with the login creds you provided and if so, delete that profile.

Simon80
Calcite | Level 5

Ok I have some good news! I found a way to solve the problem! Yay! I followed these steps to set the default username:

1.      Click on Start button and type “Run” in the start search box.

2.      Select “Run” from the menu and type “control userpasswords2” and press Enter.

3.      A dialog box for User Account will pop up.

4.      Check the box “User must enter a Username and password to enter this account”.

5.      Select the desired username and click properties.

6.      In “General” tab you can enter the desired Username, Full name and description of the User and click ok and then apply.

So now when I restart I see my old userid on the log in screen and I just have to enter my password!!!  I found this solution on the Microsoft Community website after searching for 'Windows 7 default log in' in google as Barry suggested.  So Barry you helped me get my solutions--thank you so much!

Thanks Reeza for your comments as well.

Happy Holidays!

Take care guys!

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

That was the one I found but didn't want to give you the wrong informaion Smiley Wink

Helpful answer or answer on my response Smiley Wink

Simon80
Calcite | Level 5

I clicked on Helpful Answer for your response Smiley Happy I hope that's what you mean?

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation