BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Alex11
Fluorite | Level 6

Dear SAS Admin colleague, our SAS server is in AWS EC2 cloud. The server itself is fast enough to run programs, but if I want to browse the dataset on EG (which is on my local laptop), it's very slow for the dataset to be opened, even a very small dataset, say sashelp.class, it takes over 10 seconds for sashelp.class to be just opened. Any idea how to make it faster ?

6 REPLIES 6
SASKiwi
PROC Star

A likely cause of the slowness is network latency - how far away is your AWS EC2 cloud? Get your network IT folks to monitor your network connection to confirm if this is the case or not.

Our SAS servers are over 600km away and we get a 5 -10 second delay on EG table opens even small ones. If we switch to closer SAS servers then tables open much faster.  

Alex11
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the reponse. But doesn't the AWS hosts spread nationwide? Also, I didn't see such data browsing delay in database client tools like TOAD or SQLDeveloper, it's annoying that SAS/EG is so special in terms of the data reading delay.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Try using PING to see how long a signal round trip to AWS is. For example, when I ping our same city SAS servers ping reports a 0-1ms (milliseconds) for a return trip. On our remote SAS servers this is more like 13ms.

Also note that you are communicating with both a SAS metadata server and a SAS App server when opening a table in EG so this multiple handshaking slows things down further.

I suggest you open a track with SAS Tech Support on this as they have a lot more experience in this area.  

Alex11
Fluorite | Level 6

That's right. Actually the ping roundtrip took over 50ms for the EC2 server. If that's the case, what's your choice ?

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

AWS Hosts Worldwide

AWS has about 9 Regions where they host, each Region is split by at least two availability zones.  If your setup is basic with no failover etc your SAS server was stood-up in one of those availability zones.  That Region/Zone was selected by whoever set up the ec2 server and may not be your closest. You could Live on the west coast of the states and have your server in europe, not ideal. For myself I am in Auckland New Zealand and our closest AWS Region is Sydney Australia etc

twocanbazza
Quartz | Level 8

Hi.

Really hard to say how to fix with out knowing you network topography and how AWS is setup for your site

What region is you EC2 running, and is it the closest region to your location.  Is you organisiation using AWS direct connect between your Site and AWS or are you accessing over the internet connection?

Several options, Look into direct connect (this will increase you bandwidth and thru put), another option is to have EG installed on a server in AWS and you RDP onto that.  

Also Just a warning, AWS charges for data out, so everytime you view a dataset like you have decribed it is costing you organisation money, having EG in AWS also will not incur that data download cost.

Another issue could be that your PC that you have EG installed on is underpowered and is struggling?

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation