BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello
I was looking for information on SAS Viya 4 on Amazon Cloud.
For someone with no knowledge of Amazon Web Services and with lot of articles on the internet, seem to get lost. Do not know where to start.
I have reasonably good knowledge of SAS 9.4 (programming and Admin) and Some Knowledge of SAS Viya 3.5 on Windows as an Admin and comfortable working on Linux. With this background look to the community for guidance on appropriate reference and path to follow.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Thanks for the additional details @thesasuser . I see you have more of an administrator focus on Viya 4. In that case you indeed need to have an understanding of the cloud platform, Kubernetes, Viya 4 and how they work together. That's a huge step up from the knowledge required to administer SAS 9.4 where your understanding must cover only SAS, the OS being used and perhaps the hardware being used since you are most likely dealing with on-premises installations.

There are some excellent videos and presentations on how you tackle migrating from SAS 9.4 to Viya 4 and I'd suggest you check those out as they will give you a pretty good appreciation of the complexities involved and how different Viya 4 is. You might also want to try SAS Viya for Learners if you don't have any access to Viya 4 currently.

I'd suggest there is no need to rush your Viya 4 learning, unless it is soon going to be something you will need to do. SAS 9.4 is going to be around for a long time to come. In my experience, many organisations are keeping their existing SAS 9.4 platforms while also installing, then gradually migrating to Viya. This doesn't have to be done as a big-bang, let's just switch project. That only causes a lot of problems and aggravation.

BTW, to get prompt answers on the forum to helps if you narrow your question(s) down to specifics and also describe the problem you have as completely as possible.  I'm sure you've seen many examples of where posters seem to be unable to describe their problem clearly, or they just post some code and expect you to guess what they are trying to do.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Exploring the Viya 4 documention is a good place to start. Without knowing in more detail what specific topics you wish to investigate it is a bit hard to offer more useful advice. For a beginner, what cloud platform is being used is mostly irrelevant as the SAS developer interfaces and Viya functionality is the same regardless if it is on Azure or AWS.

thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank You @SASKiwi  for the kind response.
My attempts on understanding has brought home the point that there is an increase in complexity, expectations and burden on SAS Administrators.
I see that one needs to have an understanding of Amazon Cloud Services, Kubernetes and OfCourse SAS Viya4.  Each of this is comprehensive entity on its own. There is indeed documentation for administrators (with overwhelming cross references). 
The question is where to start and stay in track.
SAS Viya 4 has been out for a while. What I was looking for preferably an overview of just enough   skills to acquire to start with (with SAS Viya 4 specifically in mind).

Wondering if somebody could share their experience.
Lastly looking at the forum I envy the SAS programmers whose questions get prompt answers and solutions.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Thanks for the additional details @thesasuser . I see you have more of an administrator focus on Viya 4. In that case you indeed need to have an understanding of the cloud platform, Kubernetes, Viya 4 and how they work together. That's a huge step up from the knowledge required to administer SAS 9.4 where your understanding must cover only SAS, the OS being used and perhaps the hardware being used since you are most likely dealing with on-premises installations.

There are some excellent videos and presentations on how you tackle migrating from SAS 9.4 to Viya 4 and I'd suggest you check those out as they will give you a pretty good appreciation of the complexities involved and how different Viya 4 is. You might also want to try SAS Viya for Learners if you don't have any access to Viya 4 currently.

I'd suggest there is no need to rush your Viya 4 learning, unless it is soon going to be something you will need to do. SAS 9.4 is going to be around for a long time to come. In my experience, many organisations are keeping their existing SAS 9.4 platforms while also installing, then gradually migrating to Viya. This doesn't have to be done as a big-bang, let's just switch project. That only causes a lot of problems and aggravation.

BTW, to get prompt answers on the forum to helps if you narrow your question(s) down to specifics and also describe the problem you have as completely as possible.  I'm sure you've seen many examples of where posters seem to be unable to describe their problem clearly, or they just post some code and expect you to guess what they are trying to do.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation