BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gsuresh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Mate's

I have challenging assignment to deployment SAS Viya 3.4 Linux version (MPP) topology on some XYZ client, need your inputs ASAP.

challenges are here:-

1) Client will disable to the internet to the servers (where I have to deploy the SAS Viya), in this case what are the pre-check lists/files which need to take care.

2) Is it possible to deploy SAS Viya 3.4 with out internet to the server

3) Client can provide share folder/location to access files can I download mirror, playbook and rpm.. stuff from other server and moves to share location and start the deployment ?

On above 3 challenges can some once please share your valuable insights.

Really appreciated your time and inputs.

Will reach you out soon

Suresh

+91 8978363689 (whats app number)

gsureshks@gmail.com

4 REPLIES 4
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @gsuresh,

having SAS Viya without direct connection to internet makes sense, you can create a mirror repository.

However, you will need internet, at least through proxy (which means, you will need to add the rules/exceptions) for:

- At installation time: The download of the Ansible playbook and the creation of the mirror repository, in the host of the mirror.

- After installation, during its actual usage: The exception to the map servers at SAS.

This is the bare minimum you will require to aligh with IT.

Regards,

Juan

gsuresh
Fluorite | Level 6

@JuanS_OCS

Thanks for the reply, 

However, you will need internet, at least through proxy (which means, you will need to add the rules/exceptions) for:

For proxy information customer/client/company admin will provide rgt !

- At installation time: The download of the Ansible playbook and the creation of the mirror repository, in the host of the mirror.

Download mirror copy and playbook can do it at other server then I can move to actual deploy server can it be possible ?

as of now I haven't tried yet please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Suresh

ErwanGranger
SAS Employee

The SAS Orchestration CLI (https://support.sas.com/en/documentation/install-center/viya/deployment-tools/34/command-line-interf...) allows you to build the Viya playbook (.tgz file), based on the file you received by e-mail (.zip) as part of your Viya Order . 

The SAS Mirror Manager (https://support.sas.com/en/documentation/install-center/viya/deployment-tools/34/mirror-manager.html) allows you to build a YUM mirror (repository of mostly .rpm files), also based on the file you received by e-mail (.zip) as part of your Viya Order. 

If needed, both tools can easily be installed and executed on a Windows Desktop. In that case, it will create both the mirror and the playbook on that Windows desktop, and you will then need to upload them to the target linux server. 

The ansible playbook needs to go on the Ansible Controller, and does not need to be in a shared filesystem. 

The Yum Mirror can typically either:

A) be stored in shared location that is mounted on all the servers

B) be stored on a single server, that then serves it over HTTP. 

You should read the following for more information: https://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=dplyml0phy0lax&docsetVersion=3.4&docsetTarget=p1ilrw734na...

Before you deploy, you will need to review the variable "REPOSITORY_WAREHOUSE" in the vars.yml to make sure that it is pointing to the location of the YUM mirror. 

Finally, during the deployment, some packages (like httpd) will be triggered by the viya deployment, even though these packages are not in the Viya YUM mirror. Therefore, even though your servers do not have access to the internet, it's important that that have some access to something like a RedHat Satellite, so that these packages can get installed. You can test this manually by checking if a "sudo yum install <blah>" is able to install new packages or not. 

I hope this helps. 

ccaulkins9
Pyrite | Level 9

@ErwanGranger, I know this is somewhat "impolite" to be 'hijacking' your post - but any updates to RedShift ODBC? would be greatly appreciated

e-SAS regards,

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation