BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Q1 Can we install Lasr server on virtuall machine(distributed cluster)?

Q2 Is there any way we can check currect server(like workspace,metadata, VA, HPA etc) installed on which nodes/machines in distributed env.

7 REPLIES 7
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

@japsas100 wrote:

Q1 Can we install Lasr server on virtuall machine(distributed cluster)?

Of course you can. Virtual machines are not much different from a physical machine. Beware that the performance will be decreased. You can contact SAS Technical Support for additional details.

@japsas100 wrote:

Q2 Is there any way we can check currect server(like workspace,metadata, VA, HPA etc) installed on which nodes/machines in distributed env. 

Not sure if I can understand your question. You or your company probably have a document where it is described the full deployment, and probably another document with the steps of the installation.

I believe to understand you will install the VA server by yourself? As I feel you are not feeling very confident, and in order to keep happy users, I would rather ask SAS Consulting Services or an specialized Partner (SAS can avise you the best partners) for deploying your server.

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for the reply. I have document which have below servers on 0 node

Metadata Server
Workspace Server
Stored Process Servers
Visual Analytics Middle-Tier
SAS Office Analytics

SAS High-Performance Analytics EnvironmentRoot Node
SAS Hadoop/HDFSName Node

and other nodes like 1,2,3 have only 

SAS High-Performance Analytics EnvironmentWorker Node

SAS Hadoop/HDFSData Node

and SAS LASR Analytic Serve is sharing amoung all the nodes.

Could you please exlain in details.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @japsas100,

to understand the deployment in detail, you can have a read about the SAS High-Performance Analytics Infrastructure at http://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/hp-analytics-infrastructure/index.html

But in short:

On SAS VA you have the following tiers: metadata - compute - middle (web) - data - clients.

You have a 4 nodes deployment.

From those 4, all your nodes are LASR workers and your Hadoop cluster. This composes your data layer (together with databases, if applies).

And one of your nodes, the main one, will cover the basic core of VA: metadata, compute (together with the other 3 nodes) and the middle/web tier.

Again, if you want to dive more into details, there is plenty of information on the link mentioned above and https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/va/ or you can request SAS a class-room to get additional knowledge about SAS VA.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

One option you should consider is a "mixed" server environment. For example, we went virtual for our metadata and mid-tier servers, but decided to have a physical app server. The main reason was a virtual server could not provide the amount of memory we required. Also you minimise the performance compromise with physical app servers. 

japsas100
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for reply. Will sas tech support provide any advise regarding setup Analytics cluster without any professional fee?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

SAS provide a free sizing service for SAS VA. That would get you to the point of deciding what server hardware and software you need although I suspect you already have that. I would advise against trying to install a complex design like you have yourself unless you have previous server install experience.  

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation