BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
TBarker
Quartz | Level 8

Does anyone know if SAS can support locally authenticating in AIX using the SMD5 algorithm instead of the default algorithm? Our UNIX admins recently converted to the SMD5 algorithm and as users change their network passwords and they go through the password manager, those users are subsequently being rejected by SAS authentication. If SAS does support the SMD5 algorithm, what does our UNIX admin need to do to make it work?

~Tamara
2 REPLIES 2
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Have you seen SAS Usage Note 43919: Authentication on AIX 6.1 fails ? Could this apply to your situation? Can you say which version of SAS you're using, how you have your SAS authentication configured (PW, PAM, LDAP, etc), and how you have your AIX authentication configured?  Can you post a sanitised version of your !SASROOT/utilities/bin/sasauth.conf file?  If you follow the usage note link to the Config Guide and look in (for SAS 9.2) Chapter 3 "Post-Installation Configuration for User Authentication and Identification" you will also see how to create a sasauth debug log to help with troubleshooting. Perhaps you could post back any error messages or other clues.  The SAS 9.3 version of the config guide for UNIX documents a few AIX specific options too (such as AIX_USE_AUTHENTICATE which looks interesting).  In the documentation for the LDAP method it states that "sasauth supports crypt, SHA, and SSHA forms." - I'm not sure if this is the same list for the PW method on AIX but if you contact SAS technical support they should be able to clarify.

TBarker
Quartz | Level 8

Paul, thank you for the response. I've forwarded this info on to our UNIX admin. Hopefully he will find the fix he needs in the config guide. I will post back whether this helps resolve the problem and what specifically worked, in case anyone else encounters this problem in the future.

~Tamara

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation