BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASJR1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi super SAS admin,

This just out of my curiousity is the a way I could  implement an automation of my SAS servers (9.4) to notify me that they are up/down,

it can be a third party application/software or using SAS Management Console or SAS Environment Manager.

I have SASMETA,SASAPP ,SASVA/SASMID tier.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ

SAS Environment Manager can alert when a given resource becomes unavailable, though this would depend on the Environment Manager server itself being up.

Working with Resource Alerts

There are several alerts built in when you initialize the service architecture framework.

Initializing and Enabling the Service Architecture

--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
AllanBowe
Barite | Level 11
We do all our alerting using Zabbix, happy to chat if you need more information. Using the SAS9 REST API (https://github.com/analytium/sas9api) you can get alerts on all kinds of events - such as creation of a new library, tables exceeding a certain size, new groups being created in SMC, etc etc (as well as the traditional performance alerts such as high usage or server outages)
/Allan
SAS Challenges - SASensei
MacroCore library for app developers
SAS networking events (BeLux, Germany, UK&I)

Data Workflows, Data Contracts, Data Lineage, Drag & drop excel EUCs to SAS 9 & Viya - Data Controller
DevOps and AppDev on SAS 9 / Viya / Base SAS - SASjs
harry007
Calcite | Level 5

You can write a python script to read the sas.servers status and write to a SQLite DB and then use it to send alerts.

It can be a little complicated begining but when you join the pieces it would be easy.

you can schedule the python script using Crontab if you are using Unix Servers.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Most IT operations departments have a standard suite of tools and dashboards for server monitoring. It would be worth checking what tools your company uses to see if they are a good fit. 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation