BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Areksoo
Calcite | Level 5

Whenever I open SAS 9.2 or try to reinstall SAS 9.2, I'm getting this error message:

UNABLE TO OPEN/READ MESSAGE FILE USING THE -MSG PATHS        

Anybody know what this means?

EDIT:

I should add... I did all sorts of searches online and found that it might be a config error with the SASV9 file.  SAS 9.2 was inititally installed locally on my d: drive.  However I checked all the paths in the config and they all do exist... Not sure if this helps.

3 REPLIES 3
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Areksoo,

I haven't seen that message, but might have a workaround.  I'm assuming you are running local on a Windows machine.  Before re-installing SAS 9.2, uninstall all the pieces with add-remove programs and then go into $SAShome and delete all the files.  You might have a bad file that SAS is not overwriting in an effort to have a lighter re-installation footprint.

Doc Muhlbaier

Duke

shivas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi..

Just check this SAS notes for older version of SAS.

http://support.sas.com/kb/1/567.html

http://support.sas.com/kb/8/536.html

Before installing SAS make sure that you completely uninstall SAS from control panel,Delete existing Configuration Directory(or un configure),remove Services and also delete any SAS related things from registry and from documents and settings.

Thanks,

Shiva

Areksoo
Calcite | Level 5

Sorry for the late reply... lots of training sessions.

From your replies and further digging, it looks like I only have two options:  Uninstall and reinstall SAS or reconfigure the config file (not recommended unless you know what you are doing).

I did a lot of tests and checking on the config file and permissions to the folders.  Everything looks fine... except results in the same error.

I won't go into the details, but uninstalling SAS isn't working and doing things like re-imaging my computer is not an option at the current time.

At least SAS EG works... being an "old school" SAS programmer, I'm not fond of it, but it runs.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation