BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MG18
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

HI All , 

I want to know the process of restart of SAS grid object spawner like

What is the order of restart of SAS grid controller and nodes? I have to restart every node first and then controller or it is reverse.

What all service gets affected when we restart the Object spawner ?

3 REPLIES 3
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
I usually stop the nodes before the primary and start the primary before the nodes, but the order doesn't really matter. The object spawners will reach out to all others as they start up to establish which are available and perform leader elections.

When you stop the object spawner, any processes spawned by that object spawner will be terminated, so end users would be impacted.

Starting Servers in the Correct Order
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/bicdc/9.4/bisag/p0d9d5nzmd8i4yn1usv2l22vpa7t.htm#p0d5wrx6q3v...
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@gwootton wrote:
When you stop the object spawner, any processes spawned by that object spawner will be terminated, so end users would be impacted.

My 2 cents on this: I know this to be true for workspace severs (WSS's) launched directly by the spawner. But it is different for grid launched workspace servers. We routinely restart object spawners and never have WSS's terminating. I would expect many more calls from users if we would pull the rug from underneath them every now and then. The spawner asks LSF to launch the WSS on its behalf and there is no process parent-child relationship between them at the OS level.

Anand_V
Ammonite | Level 13
Controller should always be the last to stop and first to start. Nodes can be any sequence. If you have dedicated queues for particular nodes that you might want to take that into account.

Restarting object spawner would kill all the SAS sessions spawned using it via Clients like EG/Studio or any other application configured to use Grid.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation