BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
bamunson
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to install a depot on a Windows 10 machine and am encountering a problem continuing the deployment during the "Checking System" step. The scan returns a list of files which are not writable, indicating that either they are locked or they need their write permissions changed. Changing write permissions to individual files does not change the returned list of files.I believe the problem is java.exe, because if I try to move the offending files whether or not the Deployment Wizard is open, I get an error telling me I can't do this because the file is open in java.exe. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @bamunson,

most probably you would need to do one or more of the following:

- turn down antivirus and/or backup processes

- stop any SAS process or service that is running on the machine.

bamunson
Calcite | Level 5
@JuanS_OCS thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention there were no SAS processes or services running in the background. As for the antivirus/backup, I don't have any idea. This is a new Windows 10 laptop on which I haven't installed any third party software yet. Are there native Windows settings for antivirus/backup that would be obvious to change?
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11
Long shot here....Does the Task Manager not show any java.exe processes and maybe some details about it ?

bamunson
Calcite | Level 5

@nhvdwalt yes, task manager does show java.exe running (under the details tab). but if i kill it, it comes back almost immediately, and i continue to have the same issue.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11
Can you see the full command ? i.e. Java.exe + options

bamunson
Calcite | Level 5

I was unaware that it is not enough to simply identify and shut down SAS tasks from Task Manager, but that I also needed to look at Services. Things that were causing the problem didn't show up in the Task Manager but did show up under Services. Thanks to all for helping me get to the bottom of this.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation