BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
maheshtalla
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I'm trying to test the SAS/Connect from SAS-EG(Off-host) to Host(mainframe system) and i'm getting error as detailes in the attachment. Can some one please have a look and suggest me.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
anja
SAS Employee

Hi,

long shot, but could you test by taking EG out of the picture and run it in BASE/Display Manager?

Same results?

maheshtalla
Quartz | Level 8

Yes, I checked and its same case

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Since SAS/CONNECT uses a simple telnet connection, you can test the setup by

- inspecting the .scr file for the replies it expects and the commands it tries to execute

- logging on to the CONNECT server manually with a telnet app

From the log, it looks like you either supplied incorrect credentials, or your mainframe does not respond with message(s) that are expected by the .scr file, once the basic logon has worked.

maheshtalla
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, I'm sure that i have given correct credentials and i checked the same with other user but same error. Do you mean that .scr file i need to check on the mainframe side?

Actually i made changes accorsingly to scr file on off-host side(linux). please suggest

SASKiwi
PROC Star

It is clear in your log messages that you logged onto the mainframe successfully but did not get successful TSO startup messages. This suggests that the messages the script is expecting are not the same as in your mainframe session.

Check what the RLINK script is expecting versus what you get in your mainframe session as you probably need to change the script to match what your session displays. 

maheshtalla
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, Sorry i didn't get you. Can you please explain in more details. Is that the Rlink path and the SCR script i need to check on the mainframe side? Please suggest

Thanks in advance.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yes. Go through the RLINK script file until you find the error message:

ERROR: Did not get TSO startup messages after logon.

Then go back through the file until you find a statement like this:

waitrdy:
waitfor 'READY',
'CURRENTLY LOGGED ON' : dup_log,
'NOT VALID' : nouser,
'PASSWORD INVALID' : nopass,
'RECONNECT SUCCESS' : recon,
'ISPF/PDF' : spf,
'****' : nostrt,
'***' : more,
120 seconds : nostrt;

I think it is the nostrt label that is triggering your error. You need to change the WAITFOR statement so it matches the text you actually get when you logon to the mainframe manually. The script is waiting for the word READY but that may not be correct for your mainframe session. Once you have changed the script test it again. 

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Your are trying to connect to SAS in a terminal (TSO) mode. A better appraoch would be letting have the mainframe ssytemprogrammers using the SAS spawner with SAS-Connect.
A common reason for not using telnet is that the password will pass in clear text over the network showing up in network loggings.

A disadvantage of the terminal usage is that you can only be connected once. Doing this kind of stuff and needin to see what is happening you will several TSO-accounts.  he limitation is on the TSO profile datasets the must be in update mode (locks).  

Still wanting the terminal mode?

- the first stage is making a connection. On a terminal that is the VTAM host

- the next one is making connection to an "application" TSO CICS where you userid/password is entered
- Than that application is "TSO" started and for SAS/connect - telnet the initial startup must be a open line-mode command where the sas command can be entered. The normal used ISPF/PDF 3270 startup are not allowed and will crash you session.   In SDSF-logs you could see that happening. 
What TSO startup is started is controlled by you mainframe security guide (menu setting in the security administration)  and the systems programmer. That is the guy coding those kind of scripts.

Using Eguide with SAS/connect is possible but than use asynchronous mode with a related not paralel mode SAS session. It is better to not  use the synchronous mode.           

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation