BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
milts
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I'm currently using EG (connected to a server) and while importing an Excel file the SAS/ACCESS to PC Files is grayed out, leaving me with the other options. Will installing SAS PC Files Server in my local PC enable me to have the option to be selectable? Greatly appreciate your advise. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Milton

7 REPLIES 7
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

EG has his own import and connection options. Behind the scenes: importing Excel files using SAS Enterprise Guide - The SAS Dummy.

When the SAS/ACCESS to PC files is licensed on the server your support staff could implement a PC-files-server running on a Windows-server (virtualized) being part of an AD domain. You could also run a pc-files server on your local-pc but that one should be accessible from the server as ip/address dhcp defined name.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
milts
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks for your response Jaap. But is the PC Files server necessary? or the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC files enough?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If your SAS Server operates on Windows then no PC Files server is necessary as long as the MS Office components also required on your SAS server for SAS/Access to PC files to work are the same "bit-ness" as your SAS install. The SAS Server is a 64-bit application so requires Office 64-bit components to avoid using the PC Files server.   

LineMoon
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

Please, you have said :

"If your SAS Server operates on Windows then no PC Files server is necessary as long as the MS Office components also required"

But "f your SAS Server operates on unix"

What's I need ?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you are running on Unix then you still need the PC File Server unless you have SAS 9.4 M2 in which case....

If you are using SAS 9.4 M2 or higher on Unix then you can try the XLSX engine instead of the EXCEL engine because it doesn't require the PC File Server. There are a number of restrictions with XLSX versus EXCEL but at least set up is a lot easier.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Forget ACCESS to PC Files. Export your data in a sensible, textual format (csv) and use a very basic, simple data step to import the data. Works on ALL platforms, no licensing beyond SAS/Base necessary.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

PC file-server is part of the SAS/Access PC files. You cannot see them separately.

http://support.sas.com/software/products/access/ see the remarks on xlsx files.

Suppose you have an Unix server you can use PC-fileserver with data directly accessing in the Windows domain. The access is being done in a normal (central managed) authentication way.  

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation