BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ktkv5
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Community,

We have installed SAS on Unix servers and would like to install SAS Enterprise Guide for the users to connect to servers. I would like to automate the installation by creating the response file. I have mapped the Software Depot as a network drive and from Windows command I am trying to create a respsone file using the command "setup.exe -record -responsefile "C:\Program Files\SAS\response.properties". I am in administrators group and I got an error that I dont have permissions to create the response file. Please let me know how to install SAS using response file.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

I am wondering, if you only need SAS Enterprise Guide, maybe you would like to use the standalone installation, which is also a great option to make multiple deployments, since it follows the general ICT standards.

I have found for you a document, not official from SAS, but it describes step by step this option. Hopefully it can help you a bit:

http://www.aii-3.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/How-to-Utilize-Stand-Alone-SAS-Client-Install_25Oct1...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
ktkv5
Obsidian | Level 7

Please note there are 200 users

tlk
Quartz | Level 8 tlk
Quartz | Level 8

Hello,

The first thing that hit me is the name of your response file have you tried .txt instead of .properties:

setup.exe -record -responsefile "C:\Program Files\SAS\response.txt"

Another thing sometimes even if you are an administrator you have "run as an administrator"

dpage
SAS Employee

Are you launching setup.exe with the additional 'Run as Admninistrator' option? If you're launching it from a command line window, be sure that cmd.exe was launched with 'Run as administrator'. Even if you're an admin on the box, Program Files is treated specially and you cannot write there without manually elevating permissions for the process attempting to perform the write. The easiest thing may be to just point -responsefile somewhere else, the location is unimportant, just so long as it's accessible, and is where you point -responsefile to when you're trying to replay the deployment.

It sounds like you're following along with "Automating the SAS Installation on Multiple Machines"  from the 

SAS(R) 9.4 Intelligence Platform: Installation and Configuration Guide

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/biig/69172/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n05023intelplatform00...

Which should be all you need. 

ktkv5
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the reply dpage and tlk. Ofcourse I am running the installation as an administrator. I am trying to save the response file to desktop and see how it goes. Thanks for the replies. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi,

I am wondering, if you only need SAS Enterprise Guide, maybe you would like to use the standalone installation, which is also a great option to make multiple deployments, since it follows the general ICT standards.

I have found for you a document, not official from SAS, but it describes step by step this option. Hopefully it can help you a bit:

http://www.aii-3.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/How-to-Utilize-Stand-Alone-SAS-Client-Install_25Oct1...

ktkv5
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Juan. I have also found it the hard way. 🙂 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

You are welcome! Happy to read  that it "helps", a pity that had to be on the hard way. Well, hard is not bad, it means learning, it happens to me avery day Smiley Very Happy

ktkv5
Obsidian | Level 7

I couldn't agree more 🙂 Have a good day

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation