BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tjbrandeis
Fluorite | Level 6

We are trying to install SAS 9.4, 64-bit, on a Windows 10 (Enterprise 18363) machine. When the setup.exe is launched (a help desk worker with admin rights has to remote in to run the install for the user) the initial install splash screen appears, disappears, and then does nothing. We have waited more than 10 minutes, checked in task manager to see is any SAS processes are running, and there is nothing active. This has happened repeatedly, after rebooting the machine, and after re-downloading the install files. We are at a complete loss as to what to do now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tjbrandeis
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your responses. We were able to resolve this issue by editing the deploywiz.ini file as follows:

1. Navigate to the SAS Software Depot in the Products folder.
  2. In the deploywiz__99999__prt__xx__sp0__1 folder (99999 varies, depending on the SAS release), find deploywiz.ini.
    For example, the default path is path-to-your-depot\products\deploywiz_99999_prt_xx_sp1.
    Your deploywiz folder might have a different name.
  3. Make a copy of the deploywiz.ini file and then open it for editing. Note: WordPad works nicely for editing the deploywiz.ini. In the file, locate the host sections [wx6] for x64.
  4. In the LAUNCHERARGS= parameter for both host sections, change the value from -Xmx1024M to -Xmx512M.
  5. Save the file and then run setup.exe again to restart the installation.
  6. After the installation, change the settings back to 1024

Once these edits were made, setup.exe ran normally and the install was a success.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @tjbrandeis

Check to see if you have the problem described in this SAS note and if so there are steps provided in the note to work around the problem. 

40012 - SAS® Deployment Wizard or SAS® Deployment Manager for SAS® 9.2, SAS® 9.3, or SAS® 9.4 fails ...

Michele

tjbrandeis
Fluorite | Level 6
While the problem described in this note sounds similar to ours, the solution, editing the deploywiz.ini. file was not possible, or I don't know how to do it properly. Opening the file in WordPad and NotePad results in a mass of ASCI characters, not editable text. The instructions for making these changes from a DOS command line appear incomplete, also.
michele_sas
SAS Employee

Hi @tjbrandeis

I would recommend you open a track with SAS Tech Support and they can help with that. 

Michele

SASKiwi
PROC Star

What maintenance release of SAS 9.4 are you installing? Some earlier maintenance releases don't support Windows 10.

tjbrandeis
Fluorite | Level 6

We are trying to install SAS94_TS1M7_Rev. 940_20w34_win64_TR

SASKiwi
PROC Star

That is very recent so will be supported. Are you installing from a local hard drive SAS depot? We've had a few problems installing from a remote share, so usually install from a local drive. As already mentioned, your best bet would be a Tech Support track. They can diagnose your SAS install logs. 

tjbrandeis
Fluorite | Level 6

We are downloading the compressed install files from a university website to the machine's hard drive, unzipping the install files, then calling Help Desk so a technician can remote-in with admin privileges (it is a government owned machine) to run the install. It is a cumbersome process.

tjbrandeis
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your responses. We were able to resolve this issue by editing the deploywiz.ini file as follows:

1. Navigate to the SAS Software Depot in the Products folder.
  2. In the deploywiz__99999__prt__xx__sp0__1 folder (99999 varies, depending on the SAS release), find deploywiz.ini.
    For example, the default path is path-to-your-depot\products\deploywiz_99999_prt_xx_sp1.
    Your deploywiz folder might have a different name.
  3. Make a copy of the deploywiz.ini file and then open it for editing. Note: WordPad works nicely for editing the deploywiz.ini. In the file, locate the host sections [wx6] for x64.
  4. In the LAUNCHERARGS= parameter for both host sections, change the value from -Xmx1024M to -Xmx512M.
  5. Save the file and then run setup.exe again to restart the installation.
  6. After the installation, change the settings back to 1024

Once these edits were made, setup.exe ran normally and the install was a success.

jasonjacobs
Calcite | Level 5

I know this is old but I think I found the fix for many of us. The fix is to do it right. Setup.exe is not what you should be running. What you want to run is SASEnterpriseGuide83_x86_x64 which can be found under ...\SAS Software Depot\standalone_installs\SAS_Enterprise_Guide_Independent_Installer\8_3. 

This took me most of today to figure out. I was just doing it wrong and I suspect many of us are. All the "fixes" out there did nothing because you can't fix it when there's nothing wrong. Hope this helps someone!

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@jasonjacobs  - This post is about installing Foundation / Base SAS which can only be installed using the SAS Deployment Wizard (setup.exe). You are referring to the standalone installation of SAS Enterprise Guide and that indeed is the best way to install that product if that is all you need to install.

jasonjacobs
Calcite | Level 5

I understand that (now) but for those of us that are not super familiar with SAS, I would be willing to bet many are just doing the wrong thing. In my case, I don't use SAS, I really don't know what it even does. I'm just an IT guy that has to install it maybe once a year. This year I documented the process which I should have done before. If you read the comments following the solution, there are still a bunch of people saying the solution didn't work for them. I bet they are in my shoes and just don't know what they are even looking at.

If you're truly trying to install Foundation / Base SAS, then my comment may not be for you. If you're not sure what the difference between X and Y are, perhaps this info will help. That's all I wanted to share but thank you for clarifying the difference since that is still something I was unclear on. 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation