BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
phantomofshell
Calcite | Level 5

I am new to SAS administration, my current set up for SAS service is that SAS environment host on AWS EC2 (Linux) and A windows server  (also EC2) as a SAS client that bridge the End user to the SAS environment. End user could use a RDP to connect to  Windows server .After I created new user in SAS management console, is there any configurations on Linux server are needed to be done?  I got a few users can not access SAS through RDP and I am a little confused whether it's muy setting up for the user is not proper or IT side messed up the RDP connection/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You're welcome!

Typically, yes, you will have an identity in SAS metadata which corresponds to an identity on the server/host. It can be a local identity or one that is in LDAP or Active Directory. Either way, in most SAS application interfaces when a user logs in it will first authenticate at the SAS metadata layer then it will pass on to the host/server for authentication. So "user123" in metadata should also be "user123" on your server.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star

So how do users interact with SAS? Are they using Enterprise Guide or SAS Studio? From where? The Windows server?

I'm not familiar with the cloud technology you are using but you do need to ensure that all SAS users on SAS 9.4 have both OS and SAS metadata defined user accounts.

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Things I've encountered before, and to echo @SASKiwi:

1. Make sure the user can authenticate to the Linux server. Are you using local accounts or PAM?
2. Are users entering user ID exactly as it appears to Linux server (i.e. Linix is case sensitive)?
3. Do you have examples of the errors they are getting? Is the app (Enterprise Guide or SAS Studio) saying they couldn't authenticate and continues to prompt them for user I'd and password or is it a different error like "can't launch the workspace server"?
4. I've also seen firewall issues when working in more secure environments with VDIs. Are the firewall settings on the Windows server set up to allow traffic to the SAS server? The port will likely depend on what kind of SAS environment you have.
phantomofshell
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your Reply Timmy, i will check there tomorrow. 

I'm also confused about the User configuration on Linux server. After I create a user through SAS user management console, do I also need to create a User ID and directory in Linux manually to correspond that user in SAS?

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You're welcome!

Typically, yes, you will have an identity in SAS metadata which corresponds to an identity on the server/host. It can be a local identity or one that is in LDAP or Active Directory. Either way, in most SAS application interfaces when a user logs in it will first authenticate at the SAS metadata layer then it will pass on to the host/server for authentication. So "user123" in metadata should also be "user123" on your server.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation