BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

I am in process of installing/configuring SAS 9.4 M5. It is a multi-tier installation with 2 virtual RHEL servers (metadata and midtier on one server and compute on another). I completed the installation and going to start the configuration of metadata server. Could you share the best practices for that? Like I have a specific question. In case , there is an error while configuration and if I have to start again, should I remove the configuration using SDM(deployment manager - remove configuration) and delete the /opt/sas/config/meta/*  (in case of configuring metadata server) and start again? Like what is the best practice that I need to follow? I would like to have to clean configuration. So what should I do in case I want to revert some config back or fix an error. Could you throw some light on that?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In my case, I use two completely separate directories (/sas for the software, and /sasconf for the configuration). If the configuration failed, I only needed to do a rm -r of /sasconf/Lev1.

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@Kurt_Bremser - Thanks for the response. So just  cleaning up /op/sas/config/meta/Lev1/* is enough then. Also I believe there is way to record the responses,so I don't have to go through from the beginning every time. How do I do that?  

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

In my experience, the software deployment wizard remembers inputs you gave in previous runs, like portnumbers or host names. Passwords need to be reentered. I suggest using one of the online password generators and recording all the passwords in a file which you then store in a secure location that's only accessible by the responsible admins.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation