BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello,

I am currently installing SAS 9.4 M5 on a virtual machine (RHEL 7.5) and would like to know the best practices to be followed for a successful installation and configuration. I am doing the install and configure separately and have a question on that. Can I install all the tiers first (metadata-compute -midtier) and then do the configure next of the same (in the same order). Or Am I supposed to install metadata and then configure metadata, followed by install compute and then configure compute...? This is the first time I am installing and would really appreciate advice on what the best way to take. 

Also below is the only link I have for SAS installation and configuration. The question I have is I ma not able to demarcate where each tier installation /configuration begin and end. Like could you point out where the compute tier installation starts?

http://go.documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=biig&docsetTarget=n05020intelplatform00install.htm&docsetV...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @RupaJ,

when you install and configure software in a server (then, you meed metadata, compute and, optionally, middle tier), you will need what is called a SAS Deployment Plan File. This plan file will define the steps you take.

This is important, because a plan file can be created to install the 3 tiers (actually, 4 tiers, if you include clients), in just 1 step - all together-, in 2 steps - meta+comp+web, then clients-, in 3 steps - meta+comp, then web, then clients, or in 4 steps - meta , then comp, then web, then clients.

That being said, you have the option to install+configure a tier in a  single step (option in SAS Deployment Wizard), or separately in 2 steps, first install, the configuration.

At this point, I can tell you:

- Configuration steps is very important to follow and order and just 1 tier at a time, same as if you would start services (actually, because of the same reason, it configures services)

- Installation steps, normally, it is not important at all and you can even run in parallel if tiers are on different machines. Reason, you only "copy" binaries (generally said, leaving some exceptions apart)

- You must install  binaries before you configure.

Hence:

- if you select install+configure: please follow the order (meta - compute - web-client)

- If you install only: you can follow any order

- after install, if you configure, please follow order.

Does this help to you?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

If you install in only one VM, you have a two-tier installation (server and client). Which means that on the server tier, there will be only one installation and one configuration part, which will follow the correct internal sequence on their own.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @RupaJ,

when you install and configure software in a server (then, you meed metadata, compute and, optionally, middle tier), you will need what is called a SAS Deployment Plan File. This plan file will define the steps you take.

This is important, because a plan file can be created to install the 3 tiers (actually, 4 tiers, if you include clients), in just 1 step - all together-, in 2 steps - meta+comp+web, then clients-, in 3 steps - meta+comp, then web, then clients, or in 4 steps - meta , then comp, then web, then clients.

That being said, you have the option to install+configure a tier in a  single step (option in SAS Deployment Wizard), or separately in 2 steps, first install, the configuration.

At this point, I can tell you:

- Configuration steps is very important to follow and order and just 1 tier at a time, same as if you would start services (actually, because of the same reason, it configures services)

- Installation steps, normally, it is not important at all and you can even run in parallel if tiers are on different machines. Reason, you only "copy" binaries (generally said, leaving some exceptions apart)

- You must install  binaries before you configure.

Hence:

- if you select install+configure: please follow the order (meta - compute - web-client)

- If you install only: you can follow any order

- after install, if you configure, please follow order.

Does this help to you?

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello JuanS_OCS,

Thanks for the detailed response. I missed to mention that this is a multi machine (actually 2) installation. Metadata and midtier are going to be on one machine and compute on a different machine (both the machines are VMs RHEL 7.5).  So I will get the installation completed on all 3 tiers and then do the configuration (in the order of metadata - compute and then midtier) and yes I did get the deployment plan from the SAS representative. 

Thanks again for the super detailed response.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

From experience, I recommend to separate installation and configuration, as installation usually goes through without problems, but configuration can cause issues. In a combined run, you then need to start from the beginning; but if installation on its own ran through once, you don't have to repeat it.

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello Kurt,

Yes, I would be doing the same :-). Thanks for your response. 

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @RupaJ,

I wonder, after these answers, would you need further help? Maybe something still unclear?

Thank you in advance,

Kind regards,

Juan

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

@JuanS_OCS - Thanks for checking! I am clear now. I have completed the installation of all tiers. Will need to start the configuration part which is  more complex I presume,Will be surely raising more questions :-).

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation