BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
KBACHU
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello All,

I have few questions regarding SAS 9.3 backup and restore.

1. Is it possible to create the metadata backup at two different locations. backup configurations is allowing me to specify only one location through SAS Management Console

2. Is it possible to schedule monthly metadata backups rather than scheduling it weekly. From SAS Management Console I only see the option to schedule weekly backups.

Thank You,

Karthik

3 REPLIES 3
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi,

If the built in metadata server scheduler in 9.3 does not fit your needs you can turn off automatic backups and use an external scheduler to trigger the backups instead.  For more info see Using Third-Party Scheduling Software to Run Metadata Server Backups in the SAS(R) 9.3 Intelligence Platform: System Administration Guide, Second Edition.

I don't know whether you can backup to 2 different locations (what are you looking for? Round robin or duplicate copy?).

If you can provide a bit more background info on your requirements it might help us suggest other options.

Cheers

Paul

KBACHU
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your respone.

By Default SAS 9.3 back up and restore will create the metadata backup under SASC-Config/Lev/SASMeta/MetadataServer/Backups/ We can specify a different path other than the one specified by default. My question is, if there is any way I can have backups created under SASC-Config/Lev/SASMeta/MetadataServer/Backups/ location and also under a different location(Round Robin) using SAS 9.3 backup and restore wizard.

And also SAS 9.3 backup and restore is allowing me only to schedule the backups over a period of week. Is there any other facility I can schedule the backups on a monthly basis?

Thanks,

Karthik

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Karthik,

You can change the default location of the metadata backups so they go to a different storage volume, which would be a recommended practice anyway. I don't think you can make it keep switching between 2 different locations (what's the reason behind this?). However, there's nothing to stop you having a separately scheduled job to make a duplicate copy of the backup if you need it.

To do monthly backups follow the instructions in the documentation: disable automatic backups and use a third party scheduler (cron, scheduled tasks, LSF, Control M etc) to schedule a monthly run of the script for an ad-hoc backup. I'm wondering why you need your backups to be so far apart?

Cheers

Paul

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation