BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Kfhansen
Calcite | Level 5

We are currently running SAS on Windows XP(32bit) but has been aked to prepare for upgrade to Windows 7(64 bit).

I am wondering what the impact would be to use our current 32bit software on the new OS. I assume there will be some CPU overhead to process but how much I don't know.

I hope someone out there has something they can share on this topic.

/Karsten Hansen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ron_MacroMaven
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes, you want to stick with 32-bit SAS,

even on 64-bit platform.

Here is why:

1. Windows applications which most people use to prepare data are 32-bit:

Access: *.mdb

Excel: *.xls(x)

IF you install 64-bit SAS then you cannot use import to read these 32-bit files

IF you want read those 32-bit files

43802 - Installing SAS® 9.3 PC Files Server and using it to convert 32-bit Microsoft Office files to...

Q&D solution: save data as *.csv == Comma Separated Values, a text file.

2. Convert or Migrate

38379 - In SAS® 9.3, Base SAS data sets are interoperable between Microsoft Windows 64-bit and Micro...

Ronald Fehd  formerly SAS Tech.Support @MyCompany

* Remember to install 32-bit Java before beginning your SAS 64-bit installation.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

You might want to talk to the people at SAS about this.

My understanding is that 32-bit SAS won't run under 64 bit operating systems. You have to modify your license (in other words, pay a small fee) and then download the 64-bit version of SAS.

--
Paige Miller
Andre
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

We are running half of our PCs under Windows 64b   with SAS 9.3.2 32 bits:

the reason is mainly :

maintaining compatibility between  pc yet under XP  with sas 9.2.3

and high users reserve against conversion of sas catalogs  to 64bits (even if the cntlin cntlout options of

proc format could minimize the problem).

In pratice, you have to exchange with excel 32 bits as previous

in place of using special engines   in case of  a use of a 64bits version of SAS.

The memory is , a contrario, limited for SAS 32bits on a 64bits Windows 7  system  (in practice less than 3G)

in place of more memory  ressources (thus power)  under a sas version 64bits..

I agree with Paige: consult SAS people  relating  your task force for a migration.

Here, i am alone.

Andre

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Pros of 64 bits:

- More RAM can be used

Cons of migrating to 64 bits:

- Many sas objects are not compatible, i.e. Cross-Environment Data Access (CEDA) doesn't work.

For example 32-bit indexes, catalogs, views cannot be read by 64-bit sas, and vice versa for 64-bit objects.

So migration is not as easy as it could be.

- Microsoft left some components out of 64-bit Windows. For example, there is no Jet Database engine in 64 bits, so exports to excel have to be re-coded (and are more painful).

- New licence fees?

- Larger files

- CPU usage should not be impacted too much

There are many papers about this topic, like http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/papers/windows32-x64.pdf , just look for them. And do talk to your sas representative.

Ron_MacroMaven
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes, you want to stick with 32-bit SAS,

even on 64-bit platform.

Here is why:

1. Windows applications which most people use to prepare data are 32-bit:

Access: *.mdb

Excel: *.xls(x)

IF you install 64-bit SAS then you cannot use import to read these 32-bit files

IF you want read those 32-bit files

43802 - Installing SAS® 9.3 PC Files Server and using it to convert 32-bit Microsoft Office files to...

Q&D solution: save data as *.csv == Comma Separated Values, a text file.

2. Convert or Migrate

38379 - In SAS® 9.3, Base SAS data sets are interoperable between Microsoft Windows 64-bit and Micro...

Ronald Fehd  formerly SAS Tech.Support @MyCompany

* Remember to install 32-bit Java before beginning your SAS 64-bit installation.

Kfhansen
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you all for your input. I think I got the answers I was looking for.

**** EDIT ****

Will this all also be true if we are running OFFICE 2010 64bit ??

SASKiwi
PROC Star

This issue needs very careful consideration and as you have seen from the responses there are many things to consider.

Another issue relates to SAS servers - you haven't said if you use SAS servers as well as SAS on PCs. If you do then there is the issue of how your SAS server integrates with MS Office and other software as well.

My take on this is if you are running a mixed 32/64 bit Windows and SAS environment then it is likely you will have less problems staying with 32-bit SAS.

If you are moving completely to 64-bit Windows then it is definitely worth considering going 64-bit SAS as well (this includes EG thin client if you have V5.1 or higher). We have taken this path at the company I am with, with very few problems, but it is much easier for new installations rather than upgrading existing ones.

Kfhansen
Calcite | Level 5

My bad.

I should have outlined our environment as this might influence the path.

We're running our SAS 9.2 multi-tier environment on Linux 64bit boxes.

All clients are currently running on 32bit XP and the most common used programs are SAS 9.2 (Traditional SAS) and EG 4.3 as well as the Add-on of MS-Office

I actually don't know if the version running on the boxes are a 64bit version or a 32bit version. Anyone know where/if I can see that? the setinit only tells me it's it's a lin64 OS version but does that mean it's a 64bit SAS version?

Hope this clarifies.

Andre
Obsidian | Level 7

at opening you can see it

NOTE: Copyright (c) 2002-2008 by SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
NOTE: SAS (r) Proprietary Software 9.2 (TS2M3)
      Licensed to LICENCE MESR SAS RECHERCHE SERVEUR LINUX 32BITS, Site xxxxxxxxxxx.
NOTE: This session is executing on the Linux 2.6.18-308.13.1.el5 (LINUX) platform

this is a sas version 32 bits on our server

the command for the system inquiry   is

uname -a

which return

Linux margxxxx.xxx.fr 2.6.18-308.13.1.el5 #1 SMP Thu Jul 26 05:45:09 EDT 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

SASKiwi
PROC Star

FYI EG is 32-bit up to EG 5.1 where you have the option of 64 or 32 bit.

Also with Linux SAS servers, if you wanted to use SAS/ACCESS to PC Files you would need the PC File Server anyway to interface with MS Office.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation