BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8

Hi There,

I am new to SAS environment, I don't know much and I don't want to mess up with the entire system. We are running SAS 9.4 on linux servers and about couple days ago I have received the new SID files with sas software license renewal order email. I have been reading through the instructions for renewing software, the admin guide and what not. But my confusion here is that with my license renewal order I have recieved SID files both for Linux and Windows os, additionally I have received two different licenses (1 for TEST & DEVELOPMENT environment and other one for PRODUCTION environment). I quite understood how I am going to go about renewing software on linux but my doubt here is,

• Do I have to renew licenses on both linux and windows?
    • If yes, then how? As we have SAS installed on Linux?
    • if not, then why did I recieved SID files for windows as well?
  • How renewing license on linux servers will renew the windows desktop clients and SAS VA?
  • Do I have to apply different license files in DEV, TEST and PROD environment? In our current configuration, we have same SID files being applied in all different environments.

Any help/ references will be greately appreciated.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Hi @Alok_Pal

@alexal is quite correct with the documentation.

Just some additional points I've picked up over the years.....

The disclaimer here is that licensing is a very site-specific topic meaing that your license is specific to your company according to the commercial agreement you have with SAS Inc. ALWAYS enagage with your SAS Account Executive since your AE will know your licensing structure well and why things the way they are. Ok, disclaimer done....

"I have recieved SID files both for Linux and Windows os"

It could be that you have a solution that has Base SAS on the client PC e.g. SAS Enterprise Miner where you get x number stand alone clients. If you are running EM in a client-server environment, then chances are that you are not using the standalone version, which probably means you won't have to renew on the client. Again, this is very circumstancial your your site.

"1 for TEST & DEVELOPMENT environment and other one for PRODUCTION environment"

Although the license keys for DEV, TEST and PROD probably contain the same line items and 1 key might technically work, the right thing to do is to apply the applicable key to the applicable environment.

- For solutions like VA, the licensse key has to be updated IN the metadata server repository as well. The documentation you received will document this. I mention this since in the old days, we didn't have this, so sometimes people forget.

- DO NOT share you license keys on this forum or anywhere else in an attempt to seek help. The info on this forum are merely pointers. Engage with your AE and Tech Support for any site specific questions.

Hope it helps....

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8
Thanks for your prompt response alexal.
However, I have already read about these documents and they are talking more about the steps to be performed for renewal. But it doesn't answers my questions.
alexal
SAS Employee

@Alok_Pal,

Actually, these documents contain answers to all of your questions. Also, check this page:

http://support.sas.com/techsup/license/

Alok_Pal
Quartz | Level 8
Does that means I have to update SID files manually on each windows client in the network?
alexal
SAS Employee

@Alok_Pal,

These instructions are not intended for client-only machines. If your installation is limited to SAS client software (such as SAS Enterprise Guide), no update is required.

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Hi @Alok_Pal

@alexal is quite correct with the documentation.

Just some additional points I've picked up over the years.....

The disclaimer here is that licensing is a very site-specific topic meaing that your license is specific to your company according to the commercial agreement you have with SAS Inc. ALWAYS enagage with your SAS Account Executive since your AE will know your licensing structure well and why things the way they are. Ok, disclaimer done....

"I have recieved SID files both for Linux and Windows os"

It could be that you have a solution that has Base SAS on the client PC e.g. SAS Enterprise Miner where you get x number stand alone clients. If you are running EM in a client-server environment, then chances are that you are not using the standalone version, which probably means you won't have to renew on the client. Again, this is very circumstancial your your site.

"1 for TEST & DEVELOPMENT environment and other one for PRODUCTION environment"

Although the license keys for DEV, TEST and PROD probably contain the same line items and 1 key might technically work, the right thing to do is to apply the applicable key to the applicable environment.

- For solutions like VA, the licensse key has to be updated IN the metadata server repository as well. The documentation you received will document this. I mention this since in the old days, we didn't have this, so sometimes people forget.

- DO NOT share you license keys on this forum or anywhere else in an attempt to seek help. The info on this forum are merely pointers. Engage with your AE and Tech Support for any site specific questions.

Hope it helps....

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation