BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
SASWayne
Quartz | Level 8

Hello Experts,

I'm trying to understand how to promote a library for 3rd party database (be it any DB) from SAS 9.4M5 to SAS9.4M7.

Is it just enough to import them as we do for a Base SAS library, after importing system metadata and their respective database servers (and configurations at OS level)? 

or

are there any additional steps required?

Thanks in advance, hope someone could help me understand this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yes, the process is much the same as for SAS libraries. You would need to ensure that your SAS/ACCESS products have been correctly configured and tested on M7 prior to using the migrated library definitions. I find it useful to test each connection using an equivalent LIBNAME statement to ensure it is correctly configured. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

I am guessing at what you may want to achieve here. If it is what I think and you are in the process of migrating your SAS deployment from 9.4M5 to M7 then yes: export the library metadata in M5 management console to an SPK file and import that in the M7 server.

NOTE: there can, as you mentioned, be related objects (servers, accounts, authentication domains, users, groups, tables, ACT's etc) that you need to take into account as well before everything will work as expected.

If you have tables registered in your metadata it will usually work better to first export/import the library definitions and after that the tables in a separate step.

Hope this helps,

- Jan.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Just to add, any exteral configuration files needs to be migrated as well, like ODBC DSN definitions, Oracle tsnames etc.

Data never sleeps
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Yes, the process is much the same as for SAS libraries. You would need to ensure that your SAS/ACCESS products have been correctly configured and tested on M7 prior to using the migrated library definitions. I find it useful to test each connection using an equivalent LIBNAME statement to ensure it is correctly configured. 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation