BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable

Hi,

Is there any better way of promoting users and groups information from sas 9.2 to 9.4?

I know about the macros which are there, but is there any user friendly of doing this?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Which software do you mean, EG, VA etc. maybe its on a server or something?  Best bet is to post the question in the software specific section.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Check out the requirements in this link:

Migration: Moving to SAS 9.4

If you meet the baseline requirements listed then you can use SAS's automated metadata promotion tools. From SAS Management Console you can use the metadata export and import wizards.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

User and Groups (among other object types) are not supported in the 9.2 export wizard.

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bisag/64088/HTML/default/viewer.htm#a003139354.htm

So that will probably leave you with macro alternative.

But if you have such number of users that you wish to avoid register manually, it sounds like you might gain from using the macros in the target environment anyway..?

Data never sleeps
deleted_user
Not applicable

HI,

Thanks for your response.

We have recently migrated by using the SMU from 9.2 to 9.4, how ever we have an requirement to promote only user groups and their roles from 9.2 to 9.4. I am aware of the macros which are available and also i am ware of the fact that from 9.2 we cannot promote users and groups. SO i would like to know from experts is there any other way of doing this?

Thanks

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

chackra:

in your case:

you can run again the SMU on 9.2 and then create a new 9.4 level in a completely standalone server (kind of test server, with no connection at all to shares from other servers), migrating the SMU 9.2 package into 9.4.

Then, you can export from there and then import your security settings (users, groups, roles, ACTs, etc) into your real 9.4 server.

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

By the way: be careful if you apply this workaround. You should be aware of all the dependencies when migrating to the "test"server, so you won;t overwrite anything you don;t want to in your real DTAP servers.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

You are sure about the word promoting? It would indicate you have mastered the management hierarchy by a tool.

The only acceptable case would be in a migration traject. Within that your first review should be whether the architecture is kept similar. Often that one needs to be updated.

When you have a synchro process in place (appendix A bisecag) connected to a RBAC process there should be no need to juggle with users/groups.

---->-- ja karman --<-----

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation