BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I admin a grid environment in Linux. Users need to be able to access Excel and Access files on Windows CIFS shares.  I installed PC FIles Server on a Windows server and set to run as a service (with no authentication).   However, I noticed that when I use the PC Files server (making a connection or whatever) it's running as the service account that I used to installed it, not as the user making the connection.  Hence the permissions for the PC Files session is not that of the user but that of the service account on the server.  So I basically the user won't be able to access files on CIFS shares that are locked down by AD groups becuase the service account doesn't have that access.

I tried setting up with authentication, but I'm a bit confused on how this portion works.  I added my own account to the server as a basic user of the computer, but when I try to make a connection (this time adding SERVERUSER= and SERVERPASS= to the connection) it declines my connection every time. 

I'm fuzzy on how this piece works, and I'm not a Windows person at all, so I need a little guidance.  Can I set it run as a service and still have the connections/sessions start up under user IDs so they can access files they have permissions for?  

Please let me know what other info you might need.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Ok, so apparently I missed page 47 in the installation and configuration document (http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/pcfsicg/67728/PDF/default/pcfsicg.pdf).  This explains how to configure Windows security policy so authenticated users will have their connections/sessions run under their IDs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Ok, so apparently I missed page 47 in the installation and configuration document (http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/pcfsicg/67728/PDF/default/pcfsicg.pdf).  This explains how to configure Windows security policy so authenticated users will have their connections/sessions run under their IDs.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation