BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello
I am trying to create an  ODBC connection to Databricks on AWS using ODBC driver from Databricks on a Windows servers and running SAS 9.4M6. The driver is SparkThriftServer (Spark 1.1 and later).
When I try to test the connection in the ODBC Manager on Windows, I receive the following error message.

FAILED!
[Simba][DriverSupport] (1170) Unexpected response received from server. Please ensure the server host and port specified for the connection are correct.

Wondering if anybody can enlighten on this.
I would appreciate if anybody can share links to (specifically)   SAS 9.4/Databricks ODBC connection on Windows environment.
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please post the complete SAS log you used for your test, including the code used. Posting just error messages isn't useful. Also is this the first time you have tried connecting to Databricks from this environment or was it working and now it isn't? 

EDIT: Have you just tested a database connection via the Windows ODBC Administrator? If so this isn't a SAS problem. Either your connection details are incorrect and you will need to consult a Databricks administrator to get the correct details, or another possibility is network security rules need changing to allow your database traffic. You will need to consult your IT security folks to check this out.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please post the complete SAS log you used for your test, including the code used. Posting just error messages isn't useful. Also is this the first time you have tried connecting to Databricks from this environment or was it working and now it isn't? 

EDIT: Have you just tested a database connection via the Windows ODBC Administrator? If so this isn't a SAS problem. Either your connection details are incorrect and you will need to consult a Databricks administrator to get the correct details, or another possibility is network security rules need changing to allow your database traffic. You will need to consult your IT security folks to check this out.

thesasuser
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks @SASKiwi . This is indeed not a SAS problem, but any SAS Admin configuring the ODBC DSN will have to perform this task.
The issue was resolved by selecting Thrift option of HTTP and adding optionally parameters as applicable.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@thesasuser - Yes, the SAS administrator may do the testing but must have input and help from database administrators.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation