BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
George1202
Calcite | Level 5

I currently have SAS 9.2 and 9.3 running together. I installed 9.3 as an additional install rather than a migration.

So, the Metadata server is ver. 9.2.

With SAS 9.4 on the horizon I would appreciate thoughts as to how to proceed. Would it be best to migrate the 9.2

Metadata server over to 9.4? How would that affect 9.3?

The server is a Windows Server 2008 Enterprise SP2 64-bit IBM x3850 w/ 128GB RAM/4 CPUs and 4 different drive arrays including 1TB of high-speed SSD's

My users connect through Windows Server 2008 TS Web Access sessions and there have been no problems keeping both versions of SAS running concurrently.

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Firstly have you checked out the SAS 9.4 Migration Guide?

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/bimig/63853/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n01001intelplatform0...

It pays to read this carefully so you make the right choices for your migration.

My suggestion is that it would be a good idea when you install 9.4 is to have all components including your metadata server up at the same release level.

This could mean that you need to keep your 9.2 metadata server / SAS 9.3 combination working in parallel with 9.4 until at least you complete your migration project. A lot depends on the scope and complexity of moving all of your metadata, data, and applications from SAS 9.3 to 9.4. It this involves a lot of work then having both SAS 9.3 and 9.4 running in parallel makes sense so you minimise disruption.

George1202
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the reply. That is interesting. So I can have 2 different metadata server versions running at the same time?

I like the idea of preserving 9.2/9.3 while I work on the migration.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

To add Peaceful Coexistence: SAS 9 and SAS 8.2 . Question 33580-x: Is it Windows or Unix (Xenon processors). 

As long as you have a segregation by port locations namings etc you can run multiple versions on the same machine.

A good planning is needed for that segregation.  I can not find the old documents at the SAS side anymore.

With Unix there is no OS-registry the separation is easy. I assume SASkiwi is running that.

With Windows you have all kind of DLL's files and registry setting that are shared.

Installing older version and than update to the newer ones should work as long not being replaced.      

---->-- ja karman --<-----
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I was assuming that George uses Unix so separation is relatively easy as Jaap says. If however the server uses Windows, then that's a lot harder.

George1202
Calcite | Level 5

No, this is Windows Server 2008.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

OK, The problem here is as Jaap has highlighted SAS uses the Windows Registry and the settings for different SAS versions may conflict. In addition are the differing Microsoft DLL requirements for the two SAS versions. This is tricky to manage....

George1202
Calcite | Level 5

Ok, so if I migrate the 9.2 Metadata server over to 9.4 do I then lose 9.3?

I think the likely scenario here would be retiring 9.2 and running 9.3 and 9.4

concurrently. Does that make sense?

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

George,
I hope you are already running a 64-bit version Windows and SAS.  SAS 9.4 is only 64-bit.

With Eguide 6.1 that cleint will also 64-bit. If you have interfaces to office. .... (a Whole chain) 

As noted Windows has more challenges, but these are not found at the SAS site. This is on old one.

32892 - The SAS® 9.1.3 Installation Qualification tool fails for tcpdeam.dll, tcpdencr.dll, sasvft95...

The shared components is another  attention point. This installation location is directed by a windows registry setting. With 9.3 it was still in use.

The Old classic DMS approach and Eguide are using active-x (OCX) files. 44495 - Errors occur when you use the Enhanced Editor in SAS® 9.3 on the Windows platform.
The same in the office addin. (com .Net etc)

First moving 9.2 to 9.3 finishing migration and than planning a next step would make good sense.

It will decrease all possible combinations and interactions that could give an issue.

Will also give time to test and validate some approache to go to 9.4.

George1202
Calcite | Level 5

Jaap,

Ok, after polling my users, they would be ok with retiring 9.2 however they would like to keep 9.3 around for a while along with the new 9.4

So, if I migrated the 9.2 Metadada Server to 9.4 will I still be able to keep 9.3 active?  Can 9.3 run under a Metadata Server a version ahead?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

As a general rule SAS is backwardly compatible, not forwardly compatible. My impression is that there have been significant changes in the metadata area with 9.4 so I very much doubt you would be able to run a 9.4 metadata server with SAS 9.3. I also think you would introducing unnecessary complexity if you tried to support two different SAS versions and sets of metadata within the same metadata server even if it did work.

The best option would be to simply leave your 9.2/9.3 combination as it stands and install 9.4 completely including a second (9.4) metadata server. That way you can migrate metadata between the two metadata servers using SAS's standard tools.

This of course doesn't resolve the issues of conflicting Windows DLL and registry requirements between the two versions, which I think is the hardest bit to solve.

jakarman
Barite | Level 11

George,  at first I agree with SASkiwi. 
It would likely the best thing to have multiple metadataservers running (9.2/9.4) with the needed port isolation.  By that you are able to do a reliable conversion.
I would add not to uninstall anything of 92. Just leaving all in place. While installing a windows-registry is used to determine the location of SAS shared components. As you have installed 9.3  after 9.2 It think the shared components of 9.3 could be placed within 9.2 (or vice versa).

Something to look at, giving attention is (64-bit 32-bit  deployment SAS 9.4): http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=3714320&item=263537284&type=member&commentID=156927560&t...

With this kind of ideas and planning it is important to know well the current situation, which parts of all the possible SAS components are used and are important in a migration.

We now:
- 9.2 metadata-server, so expecting AMO/Eguide SMC and some other clients
   Multiple Java versions can be installed parallel.
   Strongly advisable to use a Private Java approach,. Using the version delivered with each SAS version.
-  9.3  could be joined with SAS 9.2 and a SAS/connect or a DMS classic or a Eguide/ SAS-local approach.

The Eguide local onnection is made by a Windows-registry setting. This setting was mostly likely change when installing 9.3 aside  9.2. It will change again with 9.4.
- Connection is made by Microsoft Terminal Services. You are running client processes on the server.
- We did not hear SAS – Webservices (Portal dashboard) and not Eminer.
  Not having this makes it a lot easier as no webserver an no webdav javacontainer is involved.

The only thing on this analyze test/check thorougly your plans and the impact on another machine.
Being surprised by unexpected issues and having no fall-back restore to the old running situation in a production environment is the nightmare.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation