BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

SAS 9.4M7 on four Windows Server 2019 platforms (metadata, compute, mid-tier, LASR)

We recently enabled the Service Architecture but are not getting the KITS.VALASR_INFO data set in the data mart populated. I have a feeling there is something else we need to do on the LASR server to enable this to happen but I can't find the relevant documentation.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
I was surprised to not find much in the way of documentation for this particular kit. All I found was the readme.txt in the VALASR kit path (<SASConfig>/Levn/Web/SASEnvironmentManager/emi-framework/Kits/VALASR), that said to replace the log4j XML files with those contained in that directory into Web/Commons/LogConfig. The XML files in that path had a different log path hard-coded in them so would need to have been modified, but when I started comparing them is when I found the APM ones already there in my M7 and M8 environments.

I've made the change in one of my environments to confirm and will get the documentation updated accordingly.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
The VALASR kit reads the Visual Analytics web application logs. I think by default these don't log the actions that are stored in that table.

In <SASConfig>/Web/Common/LogConfig you should see a few files that end with .xml_apm. The difference between these files and their .xml counterparts is they create a LASRActions log.

So, if you rename the .xml files to .xml_bak for example, and the .xml_apm files to .xml, and restart SASServer12, the new log configuration should be applied and those log files would be created, and then should be picked up by the next ETL run.
--
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thank you Greg. This must be in the documentation somewhere? I thought I'd seen something in the past, but searched around for it unsuccessfully in both the EV and VA documentation.

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
I was surprised to not find much in the way of documentation for this particular kit. All I found was the readme.txt in the VALASR kit path (<SASConfig>/Levn/Web/SASEnvironmentManager/emi-framework/Kits/VALASR), that said to replace the log4j XML files with those contained in that directory into Web/Commons/LogConfig. The XML files in that path had a different log path hard-coded in them so would need to have been modified, but when I started comparing them is when I found the APM ones already there in my M7 and M8 environments.

I've made the change in one of my environments to confirm and will get the documentation updated accordingly.
--
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Excellent! Helpful as always. Thanks very much.

gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
@Nigel_Pain I dug into this a bit more and found that the VALASR kit appears to have been deprecated, which would explain the lack of documentation. As I understand it, now the VA Administrative Data is more detailed.

How to Provide Administrative Data
https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/vacdc/7.5/vaag/n0ztu074vadeuvn17a1hpspp4bd7.htm
--
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I think I'll have to take a bit of time to investigate that further. There are some bits I'm not understanding, and there are metadata settings which I can't find in SASMC for turning on auditing. But thanks again.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation