BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
kmcnulty
Obsidian | Level 7

I am trying to migrate a single data mart and use the %RMDMPKG macro to transfer my physical tables. I am working on an old Solaris server.

For some reason when I run it (in report mode just to try it out), it doesn't recognize my datamart. I am simply putting down DatamartName. I tried putting down the physical path, the folder path, ect. But nothing is working it doesn't recognize my other datamarts either. I am running %RMDMPKG in EG.

This is what I am supposed to do right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kmcnulty
Obsidian | Level 7

As it turns out I was missing REPOS=Foundation. And IT does create a cport file with the physical data and creates all the folders. This makes sense for me because I am migrating from one operating system to another. I worked with SAS Support to arrive at that.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
SASKiwi
PROC Star

%RMDMPKG is for migrating SAS metadata from one version of SAS to another, not physical tables. What OS and SAS version are you migrating from and going to? And what do you mean by "single data mart"? A SAS library containing a collection of SAS tables or something else?

kmcnulty
Obsidian | Level 7
I didn't mean to mark my comment as the solution. I really hope that's NOT the solution.
ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

I will unmark that "solution" for you @kmcnulty.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
kmcnulty
Obsidian | Level 7
So what is the most efficient way of transferring the physical data and creating folders then? Just one table at a time using sftp/ftp/nfs?
kmcnulty
Obsidian | Level 7
Are you a SAS ITRM user?
SASKiwi
PROC Star

No I'm not an ITRM user, but I have had lots of experience migrating data between SAS releases. One of the best ways in my experience, if your OS's are the same, is to set up shared folders between the SAS servers and use SAS tools like PROC DATASETS to copy whole SAS libraries in one go.

kmcnulty
Obsidian | Level 7
Interesting. It's Solaris to Linux but do you mean have a shared directory like NFS? And what would he syntax look like for proc datasets for two different servers? And it's 9.3 to 9.4.
kmcnulty
Obsidian | Level 7
Or maybe I should be asking how you set up a shared folder between servers if not using NFS and can you do it if the OS is not the same.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Check out the PROC DATASETS documentation:

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=proc&docsetTarget=p1juxu16zautpxn1dikxecc3kn7w.htm&docsetVers...

And I suggest you check out the Migration site to explore requirements regarding data as you may need to convert your SAS data:

http://support.sas.com/rnd/migration/planning/files/index.html

kmcnulty
Obsidian | Level 7
I was able to get some of our main reports running by just manually bringing over the tables. There's just sooo much to migrate. I got the datamart over but there so much physical stuff to bring over. Everything I can just export and import seemingly besides the actual reports and physical data. But to create all the same folder extents. I thought that's what those macros did in part as well.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you read the documentation on the macros, their use should become clear. There's a heck of a lot of useful stuff in the Migration site worth checking out.

Also don't forget to test your SAS jobs in 9.4 as well to make sure they work correctly and give you the same answers as 9.3. We had to change quite a number of jobs when we did our SAS 9.3 to 9.4 migration to get identical results. 

kmcnulty
Obsidian | Level 7

As it turns out I was missing REPOS=Foundation. And IT does create a cport file with the physical data and creates all the folders. This makes sense for me because I am migrating from one operating system to another. I worked with SAS Support to arrive at that.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Good to know. It appears that macro is specific to ITRM and it does move ITRM datamarts - thanks for the correction and good luck with the migration. If you are moving SAS data outside of ITRM datamarts as well then please check out the other options I mentioned.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation