BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
NatNat
Calcite | Level 5

At the moment I'm working on data migration from on premise to SAS and would like to know the following information. It's my first time working with SAS products. Hope for your understanding. 

In Migrate SAS Content with the Migration Wizard's Overview section's 2nd passage above Note, it is stated that Migration Wizard generates migration record file etc. I would like to know more (for example what is included in those files, volume, is there a need to edit it (if yes where should I do it) etc) about the following files:
- migration record file
- migrated files

- metadata updates

- log file

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You haven't really given much context to your question so it's hard to provide useful advice.

As a starting point have you been through the SAS Migration Focus Area. That really is the starting point for doing SAS migrations.

Have you run the SAS 9 content Assessment Toolset across your existing SAS installation?

What is your current SAS version on what OS / hardware and what is your target SAS version and OS / hardware?

I also hope you have some experienced SAS consultants working with you on your project as SAS migration is complicated and best done with expert help.

NatNat
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for comment.

Answers for your questions etc are below.

Q:As a starting point have you been through the SAS Migration Focus Area . That really is the starting point for doing SAS migrations.

A:I was provided only with Migrate SAS Content with the Migration Wizard  guide and was told that it must be enough. But to provide necessary explanations, I'm doing a research about things I don't know/understand.

Q:Have you run the SAS 9 content Assessment Toolset  across your existing SAS installation?

A: As I do not have an access to client's PC, I can't run existing SAS installations.

Q: What is your current SAS version on what OS / hardware and what is your target SAS version and OS / hardware?

Client also doesn't provide with this information. Would definitely ask about it. Thank you!

Comment: I also hope you have some experienced SAS consultants working with you on your project as SAS migration is complicated and best done with expert help.

A: A person who has some experience in SAS will join the project. Will keep consulting with that person.

Thank you for your time and kind comment.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

With all due respect, this appears to be similar to being asked to build a house, being handed a hammer, and told to get started, without any house plans and never having built a house before...

I suggest you raise your concerns with management.

Edit: The first step in a migration is to assess the SAS content of the existing installation. IMHO you can't proceed until you have done this. The  SAS 9 Content Assessment Toolset is the recommended approach.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation