BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

SAS 9.4M7 on Windows 2012R2

On our mid-tier server, the drive hosting the config area keeps filling up. It's difficult to tell what's the real culprit but there do seem to be a number of files in the Environment Manager agent area which are a significant size (roughly half a Gb each). They are named hs_err_pidnnnnn.mdmp, where nnnnn is a (generally) five-digit number, I'm guessing the PID of a process. A bit of Googling (other search engines are available!) suggests that these are dump files from JVMs which have crashed, although I'm not aware of this happening with the EV agent. Two questions:

1. How do I stop them appearing?

2. Am I OK to remove them?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
These mdmp files are memory dumps from when a program crashes to help with debugging. If these are in the Environment Manager Agent's path I would start by looking at the environment manager agent's logs to see what errors its encountering as resolving those will likely prevent the memory dump from resurfacing. I think you're fine to remove them. If they keep getting created after resolving any errors, technical support might ask for one to analyze.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
gwootton
SAS Super FREQ
These mdmp files are memory dumps from when a program crashes to help with debugging. If these are in the Environment Manager Agent's path I would start by looking at the environment manager agent's logs to see what errors its encountering as resolving those will likely prevent the memory dump from resurfacing. I think you're fine to remove them. If they keep getting created after resolving any errors, technical support might ask for one to analyze.
--
Greg Wootton | Principal Systems Technical Support Engineer
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Many thanks @gwootton, that's useful information.

It looks like it is the wrapper which is causing this (the mdmp and accompanying log files are in config\Lev1\Web\SASEnvironmentManager\agent-5.8.0-EE\wrapper\sbin). It's mainly happening when the server is rebooted, so it must be something to do with the agent service not stopping in the proper way. It's odd because I don't see the same stopping the service manually, and I don't think our other servers' agents are behaving like this (metadata, compute and LASR). As you say, I think this is one to raise with TS.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation