BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JLun
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all, 

first time poster and new to Management Console, so I may need steps you find obvious to be spelled out for me.

I recently created a user and stupidly removed WriteMetadata permissions. The user is now Read-Only and can't be updated or deleted. (Yes, I am embarrassed.)

The problem is that none of the three administrators have unrestricted permissions and none of us can grant ourselves or the others these permissions in the way described in the manual. There is no one with enough permissions to change/delete this user or to create a new unrestricted admin.

This is not just a problem with this user (since the profile wasn't working) but also a potential problem for the future.

Is there a way to fix this? I have looked in the documentation/manual and searched the previously answered questions about Read-only users but for the above reasons, the advice on those are not working in this case: there is no Unrestricted admin and none of us have permission to grant Unrestriction.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Criptic
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Do you have access to the sasadm account?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Criptic
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Do you have access to the sasadm account?
JLun
Fluorite | Level 6

Do you mean: can I log in as SAS Administrator (rather than as my own profile, which has (restricted) administrator permissions?)

If so, then no. I don't have the password for the SAS Administrator account but I will ask if any of the two other administrators do. I can see that this account does indeed have unrestricted permissions so, given that any of us actually can log into it, this might solve my problem! 

(I may return with the question: So, none of the administrators know the password to the Administrator account. What do we do? But that is a separate question.)

Thank you!

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

Is your sasadm account a SAS internal account (@saspw) or OS/AD/LDAP account ?

CHandberg
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi...

Go to this file \SAS\Config\Lev1\SASMeta\MetadataServer\adminUsers.txt and insert your user. Restart the metadataserver and you will be able to log on to SMC and grant the permissions needed.

Remember to remove your user from the file (and restart the metadataserver) when you're done...

nhvdwalt
Barite | Level 11

@CHandberg is correct.

Just remember to add an asterisk ( * ) in from of your user to make it an unrestricted account.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation