BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RahulG
Barite | Level 11

I want to connect SAS with MS SQL server database. I found that if I use PROVIDER =SQLOLEDB then SQL date column is read as char in SAS. 

If I use PROVIDER=SQLNCI10.1 then SAS read SQL date column as SAS date.

Refer to http://support.sas.com/kb/39/188.html

My question - what is this PROVIDER=SQLNCI10.1 option is doing that makes SAS to read SQL date as date correctly?

What are other difference would be there if i use PROVIDER=SQLNCI10.1 instead of PROVIDER =SQLOLEDB?

1 REPLY 1
Mark_sas
SAS Employee

Microsoft introduced better date/time data types in this version of their Microsoft SQL Server Native Client OLE DB Provider.  That's why SAS is able to properly input them as SAS dates.  You can find more information about the additional data types on Microsoft's site here.  This provider is one of the ones shipped with SQL Server 2008 R2, and is described here.  You can view its capabilities, as well as those of previous and subsequent versions from this site.

Register today and join us virtually on June 16!
sasglobalforum.com | #SASGF

View now: on-demand content for SAS users

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation