BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
siyisoy
Obsidian | Level 7

I am getting the error "The following characters are invalid for the SAS installation data file location:   % * " & ? : > \ | ( )" when pointing out SAS installation data file and installing SAS to a linux machine.

I use a non-root account. I defined a SASHOME inside my home folder. But this error is interesting.

10 REPLIES 10
siyisoy
Obsidian | Level 7

Depot is on /home/user/Downloads/SAS Software Depot

sid-files is  in sid_files/ folder which is under Depot.

SASHOME is /home/user/SASHOME.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Always remember this: blanks in filenames (especially on servers) are a VERY BAD IDEA.

What looks nice in a Windows PC Explorer window is pure horror to administrate, because you always have to care about proper quoting/unquoting. Using underscores instead is the way to go.

siyisoy
Obsidian | Level 7

This is not my fault. Those windows system admins who packed the rar file are to be blamed. I am a linux guy by the way and hate blanks in file names 🙂

Now my question is turned to this: how to launch SAS? I am a newbie about SAS modules, programs.

Where is it installed? I tried to install it on my home folder, to remedy potential errors.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Then I humbly suggest you print my quote in large enough letters and affix that to their monitors 😉

Starting SAS:

to get a simple Base SAS (aka Display Manager) session look in the SASROOT location for a directory called SASFoundation, and in there for a directory named like the version (ie 9.4). In there you will find an executable sas. Starting that from the commandline should get you a running SAS session.

But, since I guess your linux install is a server install, you are most probably better off following the post-install instructions to verify a successful installation.

There should be several processes running that form the core for all server operations, like SAS Metadata Server, Object Spawner, Remote Services, Web Application server (the latter two being Java-based).

In most cases, the installation package contains several client-side (Windows) tools, most important being SAS Management Console and SAS Enterprise Guide. Install those on a client PC and point them to your server on startup.

siyisoy
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the reply

No it was not a server install, I am not sure if my subscription allows the server and I do not need server.

But unavailability of GUIs is a little surprising. I think accessing via web interface is possible.

I think reading post installation instructions is a must, though I am fed up with reading manuals, because

that sas executable fails with an exception stating that attaching to JAVA is not successfull.

The discussion is going toward off-topic, I will open new threads for my new questions.

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Did you try launching it with the "-nodms" option so it will launch the command-line version?

Without this option it's going to assume you're trying to launch with a GUI, in which case you need to make sure you some sort of X11 server running and the display can be forwarded to your desktop. Something like Cygwin, MobaXterm, etc.
siyisoy
Obsidian | Level 7

Yes -dms option works. I am on the very linux that runs SAS and it has X running. So no X forwarding.

But I guess because there is no GUI, it fails.

Is this terminal like an R terminal? But it seems very basic. Any tab-completions? Lets see.

Timmy2383
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Looks like th depot directory has spaces in the name. Maybe try replacing with underscores?
siyisoy
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks that solve the problem.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation