BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Eknuf_DB
Fluorite | Level 6

Client has W7, SAS Foundation 9.3 and SAS BASE 9.4.

He needs to uninstall SAS Foundation without affecting SAS Base, as he's using it on daily basis.

Is it possible ? 

Thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

To get a really clean setup, the only way to reliably fix this (with Windows) is to reinstall the operating system and all needed software from scratch.

Thank Mr. Gates for allowing the creation of the Windows registry. Or maybe even inventing it himself.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I'd be surprised if someone managed to have two versions of the SAS System (SASFoundation is (more or less) Base SAS within a BI Server environment) successfully installed in parallel on the same Windows machine. It's already a bear on a UNIX system.

Are you sure that it's not a case of Base SAS installed locally, and using a frontend (Enterprise Guide or SAS Studio in a browser) for a remote server-based environment?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

There is also no harm in leaving SAS 9.3 as is and just not using it. No doubt there will be a move to Windows 10 at some point as Windows 7 is getting near the end of its support cycle. At that point SAS will need to be reinstalled anyway.

ballardw
Super User

Anecdote that might apply.

When we were preparing to transition from SAS 8 to 9 I had, in stand-alone installations, both versions on one computer. After verifying that none of our critical processes were negatively affected by the new version (I know unlikely, but any .0 release is suspect) I uninstalled the SAS 8 using the supplied uninstall program.

The version 9 was only effected by file associations stored in that bloat of information called a registry in Windows that only understands one version of extensions being removed. The SAS File manager was used to reset the file associations (since the Windows tool would mangle associations as well). The 9.0 version ran fine just the WINDOWS based context menus were broken.

YMMV.

Eknuf_DB
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for your insight. Have a good day Sir.
Eknuf_DB
Fluorite | Level 6

There was some mistake through automated software distribution, which one day installed SAS FOUNDATION 9.3 ... i'm still waiting for rest of the details...but what i know sofar:

SAS BASE 9.4 was installed before the Foundation 9.3

BASE vs FOUND. have different authorization groups and the client doesn't have the group for FOUND. which makes the life with FOUND. difficult... 

I've also founf a thread which explains uninstall in similiar situations:

http://support.sas.com/kb/46/922.html

But i'm still waiting for confirmations of initial details of this problem.

Thank you for your Inputs.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

To get a really clean setup, the only way to reliably fix this (with Windows) is to reinstall the operating system and all needed software from scratch.

Thank Mr. Gates for allowing the creation of the Windows registry. Or maybe even inventing it himself.

Eknuf_DB
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you for your insight. It'll still be a bit of a pickle as the client needs to use the PC daily, but we'll figure it out...
Have a good day Sir.
Eknuf_DB
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi again,

my colleague had a long-shot idea, which we're not sure if it'll work...

But who doesn't ask...

If we uninstall all the SAS software, and then make a fresh installation of the SAS BASE 9.4, would that work ? 

Or would the windows registry problem prevail ?

Thank you. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@Eknuf_DB wrote:

Hi again,

my colleague had a long-shot idea, which we're not sure if it'll work...

But who doesn't ask...

If we uninstall all the SAS software, and then make a fresh installation of the SAS BASE 9.4, would that work ? 

Or would the windows registry problem prevail ?

Thank you. 

You can give that a try. A fresh install from scratch could very well deal correctly with leftover registry keys.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation