BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
gothaggis
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm running SAS Studio on Linux - is it possible to turn on xcmd only for certain users instead of system-wide?  If so, how is that done?

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

XCMD is a server setting, so it applies to a workspace server without regard for the user accessing the server.

If you really need this (which I strongly doubt, a well-configured server can't be put at risk anyway), you need to define a separate application server context where XCMD is disabled, and use metadata permissions so certain users can only use this special context.

ronan
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

In theory, yes. The documentation for XCMD option says that "it can be restricted by the administor" meaning, this option is compatible with Restriction options at SAS Foundation level.

https://go.documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.4&docsetId=hostunx&docsetTarget=n...

$SASROOT/misc/rstropts/groups

the restriction applies selectively upon the SAS session owner account's login or - better - primary group.

the admin creates a specific SASV9.cfg file in the directory below with the option values set accordingly

<primary group>_rsasv.cfg 

-XCMD

-this file will take precedence over any SASV9.cfg file globally applied

-if the option value (not the case, here) can also be changed during the sas session, the restriction applies and the change is refused

Never tested. I am suprised this very option is compatible with restriction since it applies only for IOM server sessions. 

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation