BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi All,

I have questions regarding the FTP on SAS grid server:

1) Is it a safe way for data transfer between PC and SAS server?

2) is FTP allowed at your company's SAS server? I want to know the standard procedure about it.

Thank you!

Jade

4 REPLIES 4
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hi @Jade_SAS,

nice question!

First, I would use SFTP instead of FTP, for sure. Other options could be a shared file system. The latest versions of EG also allow to transfer files to the server from a PC. 

I am not sure if there is a standard... I guess it depends on each company. I would say that the most common way to transfer files is just a secured shared file system and/or EG. A shared filesystem is a specially good choice if you are speaking of a Grid environment.

Jade_SAS
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you! Could you please shed light on secured shared file system? what's the steps to set up a secured shared file system? Thanks a lot!

Jade

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @Jade_SAS, a pleasure.

This is what I meant: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cryptographic_file_systems then you can create a shared folder or a mount on the top of it.

Anyway, just using your current shared or clustered file system on your Grid (a new one, to not fill in the current one whis is supposed to be for your SAS configuration only) should be enough. Then the last step for you would be to create some shared folders where only the people you want can access.

Also, as said, SFTP is another good option. SFTP is just the secured version of FTP.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Use secure shell. The standard FTP and telnet ports (21 and 23) should be closed anyway on any production server.

Both protocols work without encryption, and allow the retrieval of passwords with a simple network sniffer.

sftp is a secure shell client.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation