BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello all,

I wonder if any of you had experience trying to deploy the DAVTree in a client machine.

DAVTree is part of WIP, hence, normally deployed on middle tier / server installations. I consider 2 versions at this moment:

a) To install all WIP on a client machine - overkilling, I would say, not recommended.

b) Try to copy the DAVTree files and bring in the correspondent JAR files from server's DAVTree picklist - so far, not working.

Any ideas or clear instructions?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards

Juan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SimonDawson
SAS Employee

The only supported way to deploy this SAS package will be to have the SAS Deployment Wizard drop it onto the file system. Its simple enough to deploy and the only thing it costs is a bit of disk space.

It would be fairly simple to copy the files across and get it to work. I don't know this is a good idea though. There are many advantages to deploying it with the SAS Deployment Wizard. Upgrades in place will be handled correctly if you run the SAS Deployment Wizard from a newer depot. You will also be alerted to hotfixes being available for this software using the HFADD. If you manually drop the required files onto the system none of these features will work.

Something else to consider is that the SAS Content Server is a fairly standard DAV server and there are quite a few clients that will work with it. Apple has one built into OS X, Windows had/has one, GNOME shell for Linux/UNIX has one built in. Depending on what you need to do you might be able to get away with what you have installed on your system already.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SimonDawson
SAS Employee

The only supported way to deploy this SAS package will be to have the SAS Deployment Wizard drop it onto the file system. Its simple enough to deploy and the only thing it costs is a bit of disk space.

It would be fairly simple to copy the files across and get it to work. I don't know this is a good idea though. There are many advantages to deploying it with the SAS Deployment Wizard. Upgrades in place will be handled correctly if you run the SAS Deployment Wizard from a newer depot. You will also be alerted to hotfixes being available for this software using the HFADD. If you manually drop the required files onto the system none of these features will work.

Something else to consider is that the SAS Content Server is a fairly standard DAV server and there are quite a few clients that will work with it. Apple has one built into OS X, Windows had/has one, GNOME shell for Linux/UNIX has one built in. Depending on what you need to do you might be able to get away with what you have installed on your system already.

angian
SAS Employee

I've had some pretty good luck with Cyberduck as a WebDAV client.

https://cyberduck.io/

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @angian@SimonDawson,

thank you very much! I am really glad for your answers. Both are solutions to me. I accepted Simon's because it seems the most aligned to a SAS Tech. Support possible message, on a way that can be useful for other peers with similar question. I missed some more specific examples, such as the one provided by @angian, which saved me some time google-ing and testing.

I tested it with CyberDuck and it works greatly, plus I appreciate that this tool supports other kind of connections.

As last bit, if anyone would like to test the connection, besides URL, port number and username/password, please do not forget to include the Path as well, something as /SASContentServer/repository/default (you can find it on your SASFolders or the DAVTree connection path) otherwise you will get an error message "405: Method not allowed"

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation