BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

If you plan to use the Lustre filesystem with SAS in the Public Cloud (AWS, Azure or Google) or on-premises, please make sure you use the lustre_client module from the DDN/Whamcloud download site and not the one that ships with the RHEL kernel prior to RHEL 7.5. More details on how to get the correct lustre_client module can be obtained on the Lustre wiki. Additionally, supported customers of DDN/Whamcloud (the maintainers of Lustre) can direct any questions through the usual support channels.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MargaretC
SAS Employee

As you may know, DDN/Whamcloud acquired Lustre from Intel a few years ago.  DDN was not aware that Red Hat was shipping a Lustre client with their RHEL distribution, so DDN has no idea what this client does.  DDN strongly encourages that everyone use their Lustre client that you can get from the above information.

So they cannot answer what the differences are since they are not aware of what this driver does.

Margaret

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Thank you @MargaretC, useful! I am deploying a SAS Grid in Azure, over a Lustre FS, so I will run a check. We have DDN's support, so I hope the client installation is the right one.

Could you please disclose the difference when you use the RHEL client or the DDN version? 

MargaretC
SAS Employee

As you may know, DDN/Whamcloud acquired Lustre from Intel a few years ago.  DDN was not aware that Red Hat was shipping a Lustre client with their RHEL distribution, so DDN has no idea what this client does.  DDN strongly encourages that everyone use their Lustre client that you can get from the above information.

So they cannot answer what the differences are since they are not aware of what this driver does.

Margaret

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Thank you @MargaretC . Indeed, I am aware of the purchase and I suspected something like that, now confirmed.

It turns out, the RHEL kernel version was installed, under DDN's advise. As strange it sounds to me, specially since the RHEL is 7.2, probably there is a good resaon behind. I will trace that DDNs answer back to understand the advice. Perhaps the infra provider did not share with DDN servers are on version 7.2.

In any case, I do't really want to take more of your precious time, the rest is on my client and me, thank you for your signal.

Regards, Juan

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation