BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vallsas
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi All,

I have created a library (oracle tables) and then given read permission one user when the user login he can see the tables. about other also still can see the library name (but not the tables), even I do not want to display library for other user. how it is possible even though user does not have access still he can see the library name. ?

if I pre-assign option remove in EG both the users cant see the library.

any solution for on this problem?

6 REPLIES 6
Nigel_Pain
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

There's a couple of things here. First, if a user can see the library in EG then they must have ReadMetadata permissions to it. Consider only granting RM to users who need to see it. Second, in EG 8.3 there is a setting to hide unassigned libraries from the list so by default any libraries which aren't pre-assigned will not be visible. You can toggle it from a button at the top of the Servers pane: Compare these:

Nigel_Pain_0-1666967238234.png

Nigel_Pain_1-1666967388117.png

To be clear, the second library in the second picture is greyed out because it's not assigned. It is hidden in the first picture. The circled button toggles this setting. 

vallsas
Pyrite | Level 9
Thanks
In my case I would like to create and assign all the libraries(selecting pre-assign option) and who doesn't have access should not see the library name in EG.
I want to avoid who don't have access on libraries should not see the empty lib name in 8.3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

You haven't explained where you are granting read permission. Are you doing this within Oracle for the Oracle user account or are you doing this with SAS metadata folder permissions?

It is a lot easier to see what is going on by getting the users to assign a LIBNAME statement which repeats the metadata definition, then to check the SAS log to see if it is assigning correctly or not.

Also please note that non-preassigned libraries won't be allocated outside of EG, for example if the user runs a batch job. If you want to keep assigned libraries consistent across all user interfaces then you need to preassign them.

vallsas
Pyrite | Level 9
thanks,
when business users does not need to see the log and check the library is assigned or not.
just what ever libs we have give in smc should see in eg and which dont have access should not see the name of the library.
If I un-select pre-assign option all the user cant see the libraries , In my case some users need some does not.
This is not related to oracle tables .
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Controlling access to a SAS library via metadata can be done by changing permissions on the metadata library folder. You need to create a special metadata folder just for this library. Then create two SAS metadata groups, one for those allowed access and another for those who aren't. Add all of the users allowed access to the first group, and those that aren't to the second. Set the read metadata permission to Grant on the read group and for the other group Deny. Then add these two groups to the library metadata definition. 

vallsas
Pyrite | Level 9
can we have any reference examples, how to create special metadata folder just for a library and create two sas metadata groups.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

Get Started with SAS Information Catalog in SAS Viya

SAS technical trainer Erin Winters shows you how to explore assets, create new data discovery agents, schedule data discovery agents, and much more.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation