BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

(*) Yes, each site licence is unique and confidential, so this is just a "generally speaking" question..

Client has asked me a question:

• They have SAS/Grid, multiple nodes.
  • They want to migrate one SAS module from user's PC to the server
  • They'd prefer not to license the module across the entire grid
  • Can they install on one node, and use the grid settings to control access to the module?

Is this even feasible on a technical level, or in breach of the Grid licence?

Most likely I'll suggest they consult their account manager, but I was wondering if other admins had experienced this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I would put this in the "not possible" category as the same SAS product would have to be on all App server nodes that are part of the grid to work with the load balancing software.

Having said that there is nothing to stop you running a non-grid enabled SAS App server on the side with extra SAS products installed. This server would need a separate licence to cover this and you could minimise the licence costs by minimising the number of cores to say 4. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I would put this in the "not possible" category as the same SAS product would have to be on all App server nodes that are part of the grid to work with the load balancing software.

Having said that there is nothing to stop you running a non-grid enabled SAS App server on the side with extra SAS products installed. This server would need a separate licence to cover this and you could minimise the licence costs by minimising the number of cores to say 4. 

jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi Andrew,

Why would this be in the "not possible" category? The grid management software allows you to assign a resource indicator to one or more nodes to indicate that these hosts provide a certain service or function that not all hosts do. Suppose only a few nodes in the grid will allow for Access to WhateverDBMS, you could assign a resource indicator to those hosts and use grid options sets or a separate logical server that is configured to require this resource. All workload requiring the resource would be directed to just those hosts. We do that to direct certain Enterprise Miner workload to a subset of the nodes in our grid.

A (SAS) grid is often seen as a collection of identical and interchangeble hosts. Nothing is further from the truth. One can diffentiate.

It is always tricky to comment on licensing but I would assume if you make certain all tasks requiring said module to just the machines for which one has a license one would not be in breach.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Jan.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Good to know it is possible. This would definitely be more flexible than having a separate non-grid server. I suspect licensing costs would be much the same.

suga badge.PNGThe SAS Users Group for Administrators (SUGA) is open to all SAS administrators and architects who install, update, manage or maintain a SAS deployment. 

Join SUGA 

CLI in SAS Viya

Learn how to install the SAS Viya CLI and a few commands you may find useful in this video by SAS’ Darrell Barton.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation